IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Philodendron self-seeding
From: Don Bittel <donbit121 at hotmail.com> on 2009.08.21 at 01:30:42(19783)
Dear All,

Has anyone heard of any philodendron setting seed on its own in cultivation outside of it's native range? I have a friend who collected a ripe infructesence from philo stenolobum, the wide leaf form, this summer. he has not done any hand pollinating on philo. before, and I explained that it is not always successful even when done right. I have given him seeds of stenolobum and speciosum before, and he said his looked just like those.

I have never seen any pollinators here in florida on philo flowers, but there must be something that helped this one set seed. any comments?

Don Bittel
HTML

+More

From: <ju-bo at msn.com> on 2009.08.21 at 11:41:44(19798)
Dear Don,

Most interesting!  We had a report of this recently from Australia (same species!), and I asked that our mates ''down under'' keep an eye open for any possible pollinators down there.
A couple of notes---we do have in Florida a species of Cyclocephala, the same genus of beetle which pollinates aroids in the wilds of South America.   They are small, light brown with darker spots, and swarm to lights here in summer.   This is a possibility. 
I am also faced with trying to solve the puzzle of pollination of huge adult Montrichardia linnifera (ex: Trinidad) planted near the edge of the Everglades here in Palm Beach County!
All I can add is that Mother Nature always seems to find a way for reproduction to take place!

The Best,

Julius

HTML

+More

From: Brian Williams <pugturd at windstream.net> on 2009.08.22 at 01:53:05(19814)
Julius and other I have been finding a possible pollinator up north forAlocasias Colocasia and possibly other aroids. It seems the Japanesebeetle maybe making it's way into a few spaths. They seem to eat theinside of the Spath on most aroids and sometimes fall to the lowerchamber were they pollinate the inflorescence. They ate odd groovesinside the spath and it seemed all that I have found look to beintoxicated or close to death. The beetles are covered in pollen andbarely move possibly from struggling inside the spath for hours? Ihave seen this only a few times this year in Alocasia Colocasia and Dracunculusvulgaris.
HTML

+More

From: "Christopher Rogers" <crogers at ecoanalysts.com> on 2009.08.23 at 15:40:11(19827)
Howdy!

Here in California I have found scarabs of genus Hoplia (Hoplia dispar?)
pollinating Philodendron Zantedeschia, Arum, Dracunculus, and Arisaema. I
have also found The dermested beetle Dermested marmoratus pollinating
Dracunulus, Helicodiceros, and Arum.

Cheers,

Christopher

HTML

+More

From: "mossytrail" <mossytrail at hctc.com> on 2009.08.26 at 00:16:26(19854)
Seems like possibly an Aroideana item, especially if you can
photographically document this.

> ------------------------------

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.