IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Aroid-L P. XANADU
From: <ju-bo at msn.com> on 2009.08.21 at 11:34:25(19797)
Dear All,

Due to my illness I am only now able to add my voice to this discussion.
P. xanadu is a good species of Philodendron within the group of Meconostigmas or self-headers.  It differs from all other species of Meconostigmas in details of the sexual parts of its spadix, the shape of the leaf scars on the rhizomes, shape of leaf blade, intravaginal squamules, etc..  The color of its spathe is different to P. bipinnatifidium (we must remember that it was brought into cultivation from Australia with a note that it was a ''sport'' of P. bipinnatifidium), and blooms more sparingly, and seemingly in the cooler season here in Florida.   It was most probably received in Australia as as seed ex: the nursery of Alvim Seidel in Brazil.
In tissue culture it becomes very ''plastic'' in its vegetative features, mainly by the leaf blades retaining juvenile features (reduced rear lobes of the leaf blade) for many years, up to 20 years or more, even when planted in the ground.  
I have a friend in Miami who is VERY interested in this species, and he has had access to several batches of tissue cultured ''starts'' (thousands per batch!) of this species. He has chosen for his collection any plant which did not conform to its siblings/clones, and has about 50+ or so of them.   What wonderful variations!   Some robust and MUCH larger than their siblings, some with darker petioles, etc.   We shall see what they look like as adult plants.  This points out that in ADDITION to the variations caused by the massive doses of chem. done during the tissue culture process (to deliberately cause multiplication, clumping, AND dwarfing), that there probably is a genitic factor playing into the vegetative variation in this species.
In older literature (by Dr. Eduardo Goncalves?) I recall reading that there is a group of plants in the highlands which were being discussed as possible P. ''selloums'' which bore a purple/scarlet spathe, while other P. ''selloums''/P. bipinnatifidiums bore blooms with green spathes. 
Then there is the David Woolsey plant ex: Leland Miyano in Hawaii which was wild-collected in Brazil, and which I discussed and pictured in my most recent article on P. xanadu in Aroideana.   Its leaves certainly bears a VERY close resemblance to adult P. xanadu ex: tissue culture (see my article!).  
Then there are the plants grown here in the U.S.A. from seed ex: Seidel, like Airlans, Brians, etc., these could very well either BE P. xanadu or related to it!!
We must wait and observe what the blooms and sexual parts of their spadices on these plants look like if and when they bloom!   
I am convinced that there is a complex of Meconostigmas in the wilds of Brazil into which P. xanadu falls (or which ARE P. xanadu!) which bear blooms w/ purple-scarlat spathes.  Maybe we will get lucky, and one of the many Philodendron experts who work in Brazil will come up with a review of this group in the near future??
I hope that this note may clear up some questions.

Julius

HTML

+More

From: ExoticRainforest <Steve at exoticrainforest.com> on 2009.08.21 at 22:34:58(19809)
Julius, you just made my day! Yourwonderful "voice" is a true treasure on Aroid l.

Steve

HTML

+More

From: Eric Schmidt <leu242 at yahoo.com> on 2009.08.24 at 14:28:11(19843)
Is it possible that some of the clones of P. xanadu are hybrids with P. bipinnatifidum ?

Eric

+More
From: brian lee <lbmkjm at yahoo.com> on 2009.08.24 at 18:50:08(19848)
Dear Eric,

Aloha.

It is entirely possible that hybrids of Philodendron xanadu and Philodendron bipinnatifidum exist. I would think that it would be more plausible that the original hybrids occurred in Brazil at Seidel's nursery. I say this as the tissue cultured examples do not shed much pollen until years down the line as the effects of the tissue culture chemicals wear off. That is not to say that someone hasn't done it. I also do not know the influence of the tissue culture on the receptivity of the female flowers...which could be a factor restricting pollination. I have heard of people trying to pollinate Philodendron xanadu, but, I would love to hear if anyone produced viable seeds. To date, I have not heard of this.

There is also a tissue cultured Philodendron 'Showboat', that is Philodendron xanadu, but a larger selection or one with less of the chemicals influencing dwarfed growth.

There is a large planting of Philodendron xanadu at one of our local hospitals and it blooms regularly. These plants are about half the size of the Philodendron ex: David Woolsey, that grows to the same scale of Philodendron bipinnatifidum. Julius Boos believes that this may be what Philodendron xanadu would look like if not influenced by the tissue culture chemical cocktails.

Aloha,

Leland

HTML

+More

From: <criswick at spiceisle.com> on 2009.08.25 at 00:03:07(19850)
Julius might answer that if he's feeling up to it, but I
want to say, particularly for Julius' interest, that last
night I saw the movie Frost Nixon, and during the
interview in a private house in California between Frost
and Nixon, there was on a nearby table a magnificent
little philodendron which somewhat resembled the usual
form of Xanadu, but the leaves were suggestive of the
original sp. of which Julius showed us a photo. It also
made me think of the "Mini Selloum" Julius wrote about.

Any comments anyone?

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.