IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Dracontium amazonense variagated
From: "E.Vincent Morano" <ironious2 at yahoo.com> on 2009.09.10 at 06:52:13(19986)
I have a small Dracontium amazonense that has a variegated leaf At first I thought it was white spots that were either damage or disease. But now that the leaf is bigger, it looks to be variegated for sure. I still could be wrong but I think not. It could be the result of mu hormone experiments but I was not trying to induce variegation as I do not know how. Inducing variegation seems to be a closely guarded secret. At any rate, I do not think I could duplicate it. I was trying to increase tuber growth actually.

But then again, maybe I did not induce this. So my question to the experts is: Is this common for this spp to be variegated?

HTML

+More

From: "Daniel Devor" <plantguy at zoominternet.net> on 2009.09.11 at 10:38:41(20000)

Yes, it is fairly common for this species as well as polyphyllum to have variegated leaves. There are other speices with variegated leaves as well, but I'm draewing a blank on them right now.....I got a tuber of one from a person in Germany that never emerged from dormancy that was to be variegated. What I find odd is that every time a new leaf emerges is the variegation can vary wildy from a lot to none at all.....do the experts have any thoughts on that phenomena?

I've attached a pic of my variegated D. amazoense.

This is my favorite genus of aroids, but they can be tough here in zone 6 without a GH.....I've had several now for 5-6 years and find a few species to be quite manageable even for me.

Good growing,

Dan

HTML

+More

From: <ju-bo at msn.com> on 2009.09.11 at 15:39:25(20001)
Dear Vincent,

There is no mention of ''natural'' variegation in Dracontium amazonense in the literature I have. 
We are left with three possibilities of which I can think ---

1) Your treatment w/ chemicals has caused this condition.

2) This variegation has spontainuosly developed in your plant.

3)  Your plant has become infected w/ ''Dasheen mosiac virus", very common in MANY genera of cultivated aroids, it slowly weakens the infected plant over time.   No cure, and infected plants if confirmed should be burnt.  It is spread by sucking insects such as Aphids.

Good Growing,

Julius

HTML

+More

From: <ju-bo at msn.com> on 2009.09.11 at 20:16:41(20004)
Dear Dan and Dracontium friends,

I had a GOOD look at the photo of the plant in the photo, and to me something does not look ''right''.  The leaf blades are NOT like ''normal'' healthy Dracontiums should be.  In the photo, in addition to the irregular white/cream markings, the surface of the blades are not as ''flat'' as they should be, instead they look (to me) to be wrinkled/deformed/bullate.  My personal GUESS would be some type of a virus.

Good Growing,

Julius

HTML

+More

From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" <hetter at xs4all.nl> on 2009.09.11 at 20:19:41(20005)
I have had several species with plants with and without this variegation
that usually diasppears in larger specimens (amazonense, pittieri,
polyphyllum). I think it is innate to the genus, not a disease.

Cheers,
Wilbert

+More
From: "E.Vincent Morano" <ironious2 at yahoo.com> on 2009.09.12 at 19:17:16(20011)

Ive attached pictures. I had to put my had behind it in a few pictures because my camera kept focusing on the table behind the plant.

I refuse to participate in the in the recession.

--- On Fri, 9/11/09, ju-bo@msn.com wrote:

HTML

+More

From: "Daniel Devor" <plantguy at zoominternet.net> on 2009.09.12 at 21:12:46(20013)
Thanks for clearing that up Wilbert. My polyphyllum finally had a short
dormancy this summer after 4 years of being evergreen and when they came
back up they produced a far more magnificent plant with almost no
variegation at all which corresponds to what you indicate below. I've
mentioned this before here, but I've never had them bloom (my D. prancei
bloomed once) and I've never had a tubercle grow (I've never removed one
from momma either), but the petiole and leaf make them completely worthwhile
to grow as a virtually evergreen plant here in my zone.

Good growing,

Dan

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.