IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

ultrasonic rodent repellers
From: Ken Mosher <ken at spatulacity.com> on 2009.10.12 at 21:39:26(20179)
Maybe not terribly OT since none of us would like rodentia chewing on
our tubers and plants... I just did a few thousand dollars of
renovations on my headhouse this summer. Previously the walls and
ceiling were infested with mice, etc making a mess and a stink. Over
the summer I gutted the entire thing and blocked what I'll
optimistically call all of the rodent-entry places, then re-insulated
and put put up new walls and ceiling.

Naturally, there may be an entry point that I missed or they may create
a new one. I must keep them out of the walls and ceiling!

Has anyone ever used the ultrasonic rodent repellers with objective
evidence that they worked?

I placed one inside the headhouse to try to deter them from coming in
there at all. I also placed one in the small shed that's built onto the
back of the headhouse where there *used to be* several entry points for
them (hoping they'll stay out of there and not chew new holes).

Thanks,
Ken

+More
From: "Marek Argent" <abri1973 at wp.pl> on 2009.10.15 at 20:55:29(20183)

Hello,

Have you heard about so perfect beings as Cats? :)

I plant my most valuable tubers in plastic pots that are used for aquatic
culture,
with holes in all the surface. The roots will go through them into the soil,
but no larger animals than rainworms.
They also prevent some invasive plants from spreading.

Marek

+More
From: Ken Mosher <ken at spatulacity.com> on 2009.10.16 at 22:35:46(20186)
Hi Marek,

Yes, I have a cat; she's very sweet but not much of a hunter,
unfortunately. My problem is not that the mice eat my tubers. My
problem is that they had gotten into the walls and ceiling of my
headhouse and made a stinking mess. I need to prevent them from doing
that again.

+More
From: Kyle Baker <kylefletcherbaker at yahoo.com> on 2009.10.18 at 17:07:20(20189)
The owner of our feed store claims they work perfectly, keeping out the rats and mice from all of the grains...his daughter waits for him to leave the room and says if it wasn't for the various cats that have learned how to get into the storage barn, they'd be eaten out of house and home by vermin.

Dad bought one on the guys suggestion and placed it in our other half of basement...doesn't do a dang thing as chipmunks and mice are always seen running around ...even right past the dang repeller.

kyle from maine

HTML

+More

From: michael kolaczewski <mjkolaffhbc at sbcglobal.net> on 2009.10.19 at 04:07:49(20192)
Greetings Ken, and other forum members,

In addition to gardening and propagating plants for many years, I was at one time

involved in structural pest control. These devices really do not provide any pest

deterrence. Mice, as many of you know, are problem pests in greenhouses, homes, and other

structures. If you can slide a #2 pencil under a gap or a door, or even under a baseboard, they can get in.

In the matter of mouse biology, in particular, the house mouse, the males also contaminate

many things with their urine, by their marking activity. The urine also contains pheromones,

Which they use to attract females and to deter rivals, from entering their territory.

So obviously, once a number of individuals begin to enter into a structure, and take up residence,

you can have quite an infestation.

You can use a rodent bait or glue boards, which some people find unpleasant, as control

methods. There are also the so called, catch all traps, metal devices which capture the mice.

If there are only a few rodents, the traditional little snap trap works well. Once again I realize some people

will find this unpleasant.

These items should used along the perimeter of the walls and where they will not be contacted by children and pets.

Another step, is to secure all cracks, crevices, and gaps around the structure. Using Silicone

chalk will help a great deal. You can also use steel wool in the gaps. If use the wool and the chalk together,

be sure that you have a "smooth" seal. Don't let the wool protrude out of the chalk.

In some cases, using a strip of metal over a gap or door bottom, or even around structure base /

foundation, will provide another level of deterrence.

I have lost various bulbs, and many, many flats of seedlings and plants to pests.

I do whatever is needed to get rid of them.

Sorry for the long posting, I hope this information will be of use to you all.

Best regards,

Michael Kolaczewski

HTML

+More

From: "Weaver, Bill" <bill.weaver at hp.com> on 2009.10.19 at 19:27:02(20194)
The tricky part is that it might work initially, but the critters get used to it and

ignore it after a while much the same way as a plastic owl loses its effectiveness after

the birds get used to it.

Or to put it another way, the traffic noise you thought you'd never sleep through becomes

part of the background after a while.

From: aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com [mailto:aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com] On Behalf Of Kyle Baker
Sent: Sunday, October 18, 2009 10:07 AM
To: Discussion of aroids
Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] OT: ultrasonic rodent repellers

The owner of our feed store claims they work perfectly, keeping out the rats and mice from all of the grains...his daughter waits for him to leave the room and says if it wasn't for the various cats that have learned how to get into the storage barn, they'd be eaten out of house and home by vermin.

Dad bought one on the guys suggestion and placed it in our other half of basement...doesn't do a dang thing as chipmunks and mice are always seen running around ...even right past the dang repeller.

kyle from maine

HTML

+More

From: Ken Mosher <ken at spatulacity.com> on 2009.10.22 at 06:30:30(20199)
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your answer. It was thorough, not too long. I have a bit of
experience mouse-proofing and I'm well aware of the very small openings
they can squeeze through. I was extremely thorough with sealing up the
openings during the renovation. I used many methods: 1/4" hardware
cloth, installing new wood, blocking with new wood, "Great Stuff" foam
in combo with the other solutions. We also made it so that even if the
mice access one area of the ceiling they can't get past the rafters to
other sections. There used to be unused wiring holes for them to crawl
through.

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.