IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Philodendron variifolium Schott
From: ExoticRainforest <Steve at ExoticRainforest.com> on 2009.11.03 at 17:13:08(20239)

Does anyone have a copy of thepublished description for Philodendronvariifolium Schott? Apparently this description was published inthe Flora of Peru series 13 but I can't locate a copy.

Also, if anyone has a copy of Graf's TROPICA or EXOTICA would you checkand see if the plant on this page is shown in either of those books asbeing Philodendron variifolium? For some time I've been trying totrack down where this error originated although I am aware a beautifulplant was displayed some years ago at an IAS show and Sale that wasincorrectly tagged. Shortly after that happened Dr. Croat explainedthe name was incorrect and the correct name was in fact Philodendronbrandtianum.

I'm not looking for the description of Philodendron brandtianumK. Krause which is the correct name for the plant in the photos on thispage. The real Philodendron variifolium looks nothing like thejuvenile plant commonly sold on eBay using the name "Philodendronvariifolium". You can see the real Philodendron variifoliumwhich has an elongated leaf blade on TROPICOS here: http://www.tropicos.org/Name/2103366

I would also like to acquire a specimen of the real Philodendronvariifolium so if anyone has a specimen you'll trade or sell orknows of a source please let me know.

Thanks!

Steve

HTML

+More

From: ExoticRainforest <Steve at ExoticRainforest.com> on 2009.11.03 at 17:41:24(20240)
Apologies.

Philodendron variifolium was actually published inSynopsis Aroidearum Complectens EnumerationemSystematicam Generum et Specierum Huju Ordinis 100. 1856 [Mar 1856]. I'd love to find a copy of the original even if it isn't inEnglish. There is apparently a discussion of the plant in the Flora ofPerus series 13 but i can't find that either.

Steve

HTML

+More

From: "John Criswick" <criswick at spiceisle.com> on 2009.11.10 at 10:25:52(20251)

Dear Steve,

Here is Graf’sillustration entitled P. variifolium in Tropica, 3rd edition. Itdoes not to me appear to be the same as either of the 2 plants shown in yourattachment. In particular, the brownish or reddish colouring of the emergentleaf is absent.

John.

HTML

+More

From: STARSELL at aol.com on 2009.11.10 at 14:40:59(20254)
Steve,

I have EXOTICA 10 and I am looking at the photo of

Philodendron variifolium.

NOTHING like the link you gave.

Very hard to judge the scale, but it is shaped like the heart-leaf

climbers with whiter or lighter shading between the veins.

Does that help?

HTML

+More

From: ExoticRainforest <Steve at exoticrainforest.com> on 2009.11.11 at 14:01:25(20263)
Thanks Alison. If we can get Dr.Croat to respond I believe he would say this is just another of themultiple photo errors in Mr. Graf's books. I am personally aware ofquite a few including the plant he calls "Philodendron cannifolium"which is correctly Philodendron martianum. I doubt it willever happen but aroids should totally drop the use of the name"Philodendron cannifolium". http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Philodendron%20martianum%20pc.html Theinteresting thing about that error is it may have been caused by Dr.von Martius for whom Philodendron martianum was named! I do mybest to explain that in the link.

If you go to this link you can see a photo of the real Philodendronvariifolium which looks nothing like the plant many of us havegrown using that name which is truly Philodendron brandtianum: http://www.tropicos.org/Name/2103366

I'm still trying to find a specimen of the real Philodendronvariifolium so if any of you have a plant that looks like the theonein these photos please drop me a line.

I was able to get a short description of Philodendron variifolium fromthe Kew's CATE Araceae: http://www.cate-araceae.org/index.do;jsessionid–982249A0181F1EB1E74E6CEB9841D4

LEAVES:Petiole terete, 20-25 cm long, shortly and narrowly sheathed in thelower part. Blade thinly coriaceous, shape decidedly diverse,cordate-oblong or sagittate-oblong, rarely hastate or hastate-oblong,apex with a 1-1.5 cm long cuspid, 20-26 cm long, 6-7 cm wide halfway;posterior lobes very short and very obtuse or elongate-oblong obtuse,separated by a short, wide, very open sinus, apex curved upwards; theposterior ribs in hastate blades are weak, horizontal, curving upwardsin a sigmoid-curve, lateral veins of the anterior lobe all sub-equal.

If you read this closely you'll see it does not describe the plantmost growers call Philodendron variifolium.

Steve

HTML

+More

From: "Tom Croat" <Thomas.Croat at mobot.org> on 2009.11.11 at 23:29:18(20267)
Dear Steve”

I don’t know how the Philodendronvariifolium plant got confused with P. brandtianaum. I have a photographof drawing in my files of Poeppig 1281 or 1781 (I can’t read it well) andit is totally different. While it resembles the plant that is on thetropicos website I know that it is different because I have seen lots ofmaterial that has leaves like this from that general area. It seems to me thatthis same plant was one of 2 or 3 collections with a Poeppig number part of whichwas P. deflexum.

Tom

HTML

+More

From: ExoticRainforest <Steve at ExoticRainforest.com> on 2009.11.14 at 05:38:33(20271)
Thanks Tom. I've tried to carefullyexamine the photo of Philodendron variifolium on Tropicos aswell as read the brief description on CATE Araceae

Philodendronvariifolium Schott sec CATE Araceae, 2009

LEAVES: Petioleterete, 20-25 cm long, shortly and narrowly sheathed in the lower part.Blade thinly coriaceous, shape decidedly diverse, cordate-oblong orsagittate-oblong, rarely hastate or hastate-oblong, apex with a 1-1.5cm long cuspid, 20-26 cm long, 6-7 cm wide halfway; posterior lobesvery short and very obtuse or elongate-oblong obtuse, separated by ashort, wide, very open sinus, apex curved upwards; the posterior ribsin hastate blades are weak, horizontal, curving upwards in asigmoid-curve, lateral veins of the anterior lobe all sub-equal.

Krause,K. 1913. Araceae-Philodendroideae-Philodendreae-Philodendrinae. DasPflanzenreich. 60 (IV.23Db): 1-143 p. 36, translated by A. Haigh.

The plants don't describe or look the same. I'd love to find aspecimen of the real Philodendron variifolium so I can observeit growing in the atrium. As far as I can tell the blade of Philodendronvariifolium can be somewhat cordate but should be more elongatedthan anything I've ever seen growing or sold using the name Philodendronvariifolium.

Steve

HTML

+More

From: "John Criswick" <criswick at spiceisle.com> on 2009.11.14 at 15:56:34(20273)
Steve, did you not seethe picture taken from Tropica which I sent you immediately upon seeing yourrequest? John.

From: aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com[mailto:aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com] OnBehalf Of ExoticRainforest
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 20099:01 AM
To: Discussion of aroids
Subject: Re: [Aroid-l]Philodendron variifolium Schott

Thanks Alison. If we can get Dr. Croat torespond I believe he would say this is just another of the multiple photoerrors in Mr. Graf's books. I am personally aware of quite a fewincluding the plant he calls "Philodendron cannifolium" which iscorrectly Philodendron martianum. I doubt it will ever happen but aroids should totally drop the use ofthe name "Philodendron cannifolium". http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Philodendron%20martianum%20pc.html The interesting thing about that error is it may have been caused by Dr. vonMartius for whom Philodendron martianumwas named! I do my best to explain that in the link.

If you go to this link you can see a photo of the real Philodendron variifolium which looksnothing like the plant many of us have grown using that name which is truly Philodendron brandtianum: http://www.tropicos.org/Name/2103366

I'm still trying tofind a specimen of the real Philodendronvariifolium so if any of you have a plant that looks like the theone in these photos please drop me a line.

I was able to get a short description of Philodendron variifolium from the Kew's CATE Araceae: http://www.cate-araceae.org/index.do;jsessionid=96982249A0181F1EB1E74E6CEB9841D4

LEAVES: Petiole terete, 20-25 cm long,shortly and narrowly sheathed in the lower part. Blade thinly coriaceous, shapedecidedly diverse, cordate-oblong or sagittate-oblong, rarely hastate orhastate-oblong, apex with a 1-1.5 cm long cuspid, 20-26 cm long, 6-7 cm widehalfway; posterior lobes very short and very obtuse or elongate-oblong obtuse,separated by a short, wide, very open sinus, apex curved upwards; the posteriorribs in hastate blades are weak, horizontal, curving upwards in asigmoid-curve, lateral veins of the anterior lobe all sub-equal.

If you read this closely you'll seeit does not describe the plant most growers call Philodendron variifolium.

Steve

HTML

+More

From: ExoticRainforest <Steve at ExoticRainforest.com> on 2009.11.15 at 14:11:59(20283)
Yes John, and thanks. To me thatplant looks like Philodendron brandtianum. The photo onTROPICOS is very different.

Steve

HTML

+More

From: "John Criswick" <criswick at spiceisle.com> on 2009.11.15 at 19:06:05(20290)

Here is Philodendron brandtianum in my nurserytoday, as supplied to me by Enid Offholter. It does indeed look like thephoto in Graf’s Tropica, although his has less silver and moregreen. We must allow for there being several forms.

I was unable to findan image of P. brandtianum onTropicos. How do I access the one that you saw there?

John.

HTML

+More

From: ExoticRainforest <Steve at ExoticRainforest.com> on 2009.11.17 at 02:52:31(20304)

I didn't find one of P.brandtianum on TROPICOS but this is the photo they have by DavidStang of Philodendron variifolium. Iwould agree your plant is indeed P. brandtianum which is verydifferent from P. variifolium.

Steve

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.