IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Temperature requierements for Helicodiceros (Susan B)
From: Paul Temple <paulindr at gmail.com> on 2010.01.29 at 18:42:26(20528)
Hi.

Iīve been silent for about a year as a result of some legal issues locally. However, the Helicodiceros question spurred me to break silence!

I used to live in the English countryside where winter temperatures often fell below zero Centigrade, though not too much colder. My helicodiceros plants (I had perhaps 30) survived these winters outdoors, below ground (obviously!) at a depth of between 6 and 12 inches. Once mid-Spring arrived (mid to late April), out they came, flowering annually once of mature age. Once mid-summer arrived (August at latest), the heat dried off the plants and they became dormant again.

So I would say that Helicodiceros is more hardy than is generally stated (but it not reliably hardy so probably canīt take -5C or less for long periods) while it is also not a heat lover, preferring dormancy once temperatures reach about 25C for a prolonged period.

Of course, this was my experience for my plants in the South of England so itīs only a guide, not a rule!

Have fun.

Paul

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.