IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Engler's Works Scanned for Members
From: Albert M Huntington <amh at ieee.org> on 2010.03.09 at 15:40:44(20725)
Folks,

Marc Gibernau has graciously made available to us scans on many of the works of Adolf Engler ( 1844-1930 ) , a prolific writer on Aroid taxonomy and morphology. This comprises nearly 250MB of PDF files, which have been cleaned, OCR'ed and uploaded to the members area on aroid.org. Included are some very nice line drawings scattered throughout, as well as the original descriptions of many species.

I would encourage all members to log in to aroid.org today and check these files out - even if you are not so good with Latin and German, the books are truly interesting just for the pictures and familiar plant names.

Not a member of the IAS? Join us today in supporting aroid horticulture, education and research at
http://www.aroid.org/society/joinias.php and get access to these and many other wonderful publications.

All the best,
--Albert

+More
From: Albert M Huntington <amh at ieee.org> on 2010.03.09 at 15:40:44(20726)
Folks,

Marc Gibernau has graciously made available to us scans on many of the works of Adolf Engler ( 1844-1930 ) , a prolific writer on Aroid taxonomy and morphology. This comprises nearly 250MB of PDF files, which have been cleaned, OCR'ed and uploaded to the members area on aroid.org. Included are some very nice line drawings scattered throughout, as well as the original descriptions of many species.

I would encourage all members to log in to aroid.org today and check these files out - even if you are not so good with Latin and German, the books are truly interesting just for the pictures and familiar plant names.

Not a member of the IAS? Join us today in supporting aroid horticulture, education and research at
http://www.aroid.org/society/joinias.php and get access to these and many other wonderful publications.

All the best,
--Albert

+More
From: "Daniel Devor" <plantguy at zoominternet.net> on 2010.03.10 at 11:39:04(20730)
Hi Albert,

I'm not a member, but I wanted to know how this works with regard to
copyright on old material like this? Obviously, a new scientific document
is typically copyrighted to the journal (all the medical journals that I am
aware of at least) and you can not scan and display copyrighted material
like this without permission from the copyright holder to the best of my
knowledge. Even to reproduce your own scientific data is not allowed
without gaining permission from the original copyright holder (the original
publishing journal). I'm not trying to say it isn't all fine with the
copyright, etc., but I'm just curious......hopefully it does not kill the
cat :o)

Dan

+More
From: "Daniel Devor" <plantguy at zoominternet.net> on 2010.03.10 at 11:39:04(20731)
Hi Albert,

I'm not a member, but I wanted to know how this works with regard to
copyright on old material like this? Obviously, a new scientific document
is typically copyrighted to the journal (all the medical journals that I am
aware of at least) and you can not scan and display copyrighted material
like this without permission from the copyright holder to the best of my
knowledge. Even to reproduce your own scientific data is not allowed
without gaining permission from the original copyright holder (the original
publishing journal). I'm not trying to say it isn't all fine with the
copyright, etc., but I'm just curious......hopefully it does not kill the
cat :o)

Dan

+More
From: brian lee <lbmkjm at yahoo.com> on 2010.03.10 at 16:58:47(20735)
Dear Albert and Marc,
Aloha.
Mahalo (Thank you) for making Engler's classic work available to the member
ship. What a treasure...and monumental effort on the part of Engler.
It is little wonder that he is considered a giant in aroid circles. Just
a quick look at the beautiful black and white line drawings was a joy.
Thanks to both of you again for doing this great service for the IAS member
ship. We have Engler's work in Hawaii, but, to have it accessible from o
ne's own computer is such a convenience.
Aloha,
Leland
+More
From: brian lee <lbmkjm at yahoo.com> on 2010.03.10 at 16:58:47(20736)
Dear Albert and Marc,

Aloha.

Mahalo (Thank you) for making Engler's classic work available to the membership. What a treasure...and monumental effort on the part of Engler. It is little wonder that he is considered a giant in aroid circles. Just a quick look at the beautiful black and white line drawings was a joy.

Thanks to both of you again for doing this great service for the IAS membership. We have Engler's work in Hawaii, but, to have it accessible from one's own computer is such a convenience.

Aloha,

Leland

HTML

+More

From: Peter Boyce <phymatarum at googlemail.com> on 2010.03.11 at 07:02:39(20744)
Hi Dan,

The latest of these pdfs is 1920, so well out of copyright.

Regards

Peter

+More
From: Albert M Huntington <amh at ieee.org> on 2010.03.11 at 07:17:15(20745)
Dan,

Good question - all copyrighted works enter the public domain after some amount of time - copyright in at least the US is not perpetual ( though there are certain corporate interests which would either have you believe that or like to change the law... ). Works published before 1923, as Engler's were, are no longer protected by international or US copyright law at this time.

Though it is pretty much completely off-topic - Regarding copyright and journals - most botanical journals that I am aware of stipulate that the author grant a license to reproduce the article to the journal, but the copyright ownership remains with the author, not the journal. So in most cases an author like Peter Boyce can give us permission to reproduce one of his articles without involving the journal at all. I am sure things are far different in the medical field - medical journals seem to be big business these days.

--Albert

+More
From: Albert M Huntington <amh at ieee.org> on 2010.03.11 at 07:17:15(20746)
Dan,

Good question - all copyrighted works enter the public domain after some amount of time - copyright in at least the US is not perpetual ( though there are certain corporate interests which would either have you believe that or like to change the law... ). Works published before 1923, as Engler's were, are no longer protected by international or US copyright law at this time.

Though it is pretty much completely off-topic - Regarding copyright and journals - most botanical journals that I am aware of stipulate that the author grant a license to reproduce the article to the journal, but the copyright ownership remains with the author, not the journal. So in most cases an author like Peter Boyce can give us permission to reproduce one of his articles without involving the journal at all. I am sure things are far different in the medical field - medical journals seem to be big business these days.

--Albert

+More
From: "Daniel Devor" <plantguy at zoominternet.net> on 2010.03.11 at 12:26:38(20747)
Hi Albert and Peter,

Thanks for the clarification about the date of copyright languishing. Nice
to know that the botanical journals still allow the author to retain their
copyright by the way. Seems silly that when a Ph.D. student wants to write
their thesis in a biomedical field they have to get permission from the
journal to reproduce their own figures in their dissertation to avoid
copyright infringement.

Good growing all,

Dan

+More
From: "Daniel Devor" <plantguy at zoominternet.net> on 2010.03.11 at 12:26:38(20748)
Hi Albert and Peter,

Thanks for the clarification about the date of copyright languishing. Nice
to know that the botanical journals still allow the author to retain their
copyright by the way. Seems silly that when a Ph.D. student wants to write
their thesis in a biomedical field they have to get permission from the
journal to reproduce their own figures in their dissertation to avoid
copyright infringement.

Good growing all,

Dan

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.