IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Dracontium amazonense going dormant?
From: "E.Vincent Morano" <ironious2 at yahoo.com> on 2010.04.12 at 02:30:53(20822)
I ahve a Dracontium amazonense going dormant now. Ive kept is wet and warmer then outside. It started by slowly loosing leaves. finally only one was left and the last one stayed there for about another month. now it is starting to turn yellow and the stem is softening like the others did before falling off.

I also have several offsets in the pot. Non of the offsets ever sprouted but the did grow roots and get larger in size. After checking the offsets, I see that they are dormant also because their roots are gone. I have fertilized them the whole time theyve been growing, almost 2 years now.

Can anyone tell me what is going on here? are they going to sleep or something else? If they are resting, how long will they rest?how should I store them?

--0-646627824-1271039453=:84752

+More
From: "E.Vincent Morano" <ironious2 at yahoo.com> on 2010.04.12 at 02:30:53(20823)
I ahve a Dracontium amazonense going dormant now. Ive kept is wet and warmer then outside. It started by slowly loosing leaves. finally only one was left and the last one stayed there for about another month. now it is starting to turn yellow and the stem is softening like the others did before falling off.

I also have several offsets in the pot. Non of the offsets ever sprouted but the did grow roots and get larger in size. After checking the offsets, I see that they are dormant also because their roots are gone. I have fertilized them the whole time theyve been growing, almost 2 years now.

Can anyone tell me what is going on here? are they going to sleep or something else? If they are resting, how long will they rest?how should I store them?

HTML

+More

From: "Daniel Devor" <plantguy at zoominternet.net> on 2010.04.13 at 11:44:27(20832)
Hi Vincent,

Well, I am a total novice, but for me this sounds about right. On rare
occassion they will decide to go totally dormant, but for me it is not
very often....maybe once every 2-3 years or even longer. In my case I
keep them nice and warm on a heat mat in their pots and maybe once every
2 weeks or so give them some water when dormant......never wet like in
the growing season, but enough to keep them from being bone-dry......I
guess I would think of them like one of the pseudo-evergreen
Amorphs.....like A. titanum.....just a bit of water to keep them happy
until they reemerge from dormancy. I typiucally do not repot until I
see some new growth emerging and then repot...the more compacted soil
from the past 2-3 years will keep them barely damp for a longer period
of time compared to fresh, light soil....or so my thinking goes!! I've
had them stay dormant for just a month or so all the way to one of mine
that is just now emerging after 5 months of dormancy (this is a no ID
from Brasil). As I said, this works for me here in zone 6 after some
trial and serious error, but others with more experience than me can
hopefully provide better info. By the way, I also find that after a
dormancy like this is when you see a big difference in the size of the
petioles produced, but maybe that is just mine in my conditions.

I've managed to have a Dracontium prancei now bloom for me as well so
I'll try to take pics and post in the near future......2 Dracontium
bloom in one season.....the most exciting aroid season for me in a long
time :o)

Dan

+More
From: "Daniel Devor" <plantguy at zoominternet.net> on 2010.04.13 at 11:44:27(20833)
Hi Vincent,

Well, I am a total novice, but for me this sounds about right. On rare occassion they will decide to go totally dormant, but for me it is not very often....maybe once every 2-3 years or even longer. In my case I keep them nice and warm on a heat mat in their pots and maybe once every 2 weeks or so give them some water when dormant......never wet like in the growing season, but enough to keep them from being bone-dry......I guess I would think of them like one of the pseudo-evergreen Amorphs.....like A. titanum.....just a bit of water to keep them happy until they reemerge from dormancy. I typiucally do not repot until I see some new growth emerging and then repot...the more compacted soil from the past 2-3 years will keep them barely damp for a longer period of time compared to fresh, light soil....or so my thinking goes!! I've had them stay dormant for just a month or so all the way to one of mine that is just now emerging after 5 months of dormancy (this is a no ID from Brasil). As I said, this works for me here in zone 6 after some trial and serious error, but others with more experience than me can hopefully provide better info. By the way, I also find that after a dormancy like this is when you see a big difference in the size of the petioles produced, but maybe that is just mine in my conditions.

I've managed to have a Dracontium prancei now bloom for me as well so I'll try to take pics and post in the near future......2 Dracontium bloom in one season.....the most exciting aroid season for me in a long time :o)

Dan

HTML

+More

From: "E.Vincent Morano" <ironious2 at yahoo.com> on 2010.04.17 at 04:20:49(20839)
Another question. Why would they go dormant if kept warm and wet? this spp is from the amazon.

I refuse to participate in the in the recession.

--- On Sun, 4/11/10, E.Vincent Morano wrote:

+More
From: "E.Vincent Morano" <ironious2 at yahoo.com> on 2010.04.17 at 04:20:49(20840)
Another question. Why would they go dormant if kept warm and wet? this spp is from the amazon.

I refuse to participate in the in the recession.

--- On Sun, 4/11/10, E.Vincent Morano wrote:

HTML

+More

From: Peter Boyce <phymatarum at googlemail.com> on 2010.04.17 at 22:34:02(20845)
Hi Vincent

It's a common misconception that the Amazon (indeed much of the tropics) is
bathed in rain. Many tropical areas, including the Amazon, have a marked dry
season and often a significant proportion of the trees in these regions will
be semi deciduous or even deciduous, and a marked proportion of the
herbaceous flora will follow suite. The tuber in Dracontium is there to
enable to plant to pass through a leafless resting phase.

Very best

Peter

+More
From: Peter Boyce <phymatarum at googlemail.com> on 2010.04.17 at 22:34:02(20846)
Hi Vincent

It’s a common misconception that the Amazon (indeed muchof the tropics) is bathed in rain. Many tropical areas, including the Amazon,have a marked dry season and often a significant proportion of the trees inthese regions will be semi deciduous or even deciduous, and a marked proportionof the herbaceous flora will follow suite. The tuber in Dracontium isthere to enable to plant to pass through a leafless resting phase.

Very best

Peter

HTML

+More

From: Michael Pascall <mickpascall at hotmail.com> on 2010.04.18 at 00:18:30(20849)
I grow several Dracontium spp. here in the wet tropics and they all have a
dormant period .
Come on the poor plants need a little rest !
+More
From: Michael Pascall <mickpascall at hotmail.com> on 2010.04.18 at 00:18:30(20850)
I grow several Dracontium spp. here in the wet tropics and they all have a dormant period .
Come on the poor plants need a little rest !
I have removed several tubercles from my D amazonense and none sprouted the first year , but one did this year .
I leave all my Drac's potted and they get watered with all my other plants .

My hybrid prancei x polyphyllum is doing very well .

HTML

+More

From: "Eduardo" <eduardo.goncalves at inhotim.org.br> on 2010.04.18 at 15:21:32(20858)
Dear Vincent,

I keep all my Dracontiuns (including D. amazonense) warm and wet when
dormant. I only bury the tubers when I think it is needed to repot them.
I
have had zero losses for more than 15 years doing this. The only
Dracontium
I treat different is D. margaretae, which is aquatic and need to be
taken
out of the water bowl during dormancy (but still kept warm and wet).

Very best wishes,

Eduardo.

+More
From: "Eduardo" <eduardo.goncalves at inhotim.org.br> on 2010.04.18 at 15:21:32(20859)
Dear Vincent,

I keep all my Dracontiuns (including D. amazonense) warm and wetwhen dormant. I only bury the tubers when I think it is needed to repot them. Ihave had zero losses for more than 15 years doing this. The only Dracontium Itreat different is D. margaretae, which is aquatic and need to be taken out ofthe water bowl during dormancy (but still kept warm and wet).

Very best wishes,

Eduardo.

HTML

+More

From: "plantguy at zoominternet.net" <plantguy at zoominternet.net> on 2010.04.18 at 22:58:50(20873)
Hi Eduardo,

What do you mean by "I only bury the tubers when I think it is needed to
repot them".

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.