IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Cryptocoryne Propagation by Leaf Cuttings
From: Theodore Held <oppenhauser2001 at gmail.com> on 2010.06.17 at 17:31:42(21122)
I should probably add that at least one Cryptocoryne species (aroid) can be reproduced from a leaf cutting. The species escapes me at the moment, but it has been reported in the European literature and the same species has done so for me and for my friend and neighbor Chris Newell. I have tried several others without success.

The technique I used was to simply take a leaf and lay it and its petiole on an organic-rich substrate (wet, of course, since Crypts are aquatic or semi-aquatic), and partly cover the leaf edges with additional substrate.. (I did not use any rooting hormone, but maybe that would help.) Then wait.. And wait. Many months later I found an offset coming from the leaf portion. No bulblets. Just right off the leaf edge.

As I said, several other attempts with other clones and species were not successful for me. When it fails the exposed parts of the leaf just turn to mush. In my successful try the leaf stayed firm and green the whole time.

It would be fascinating to know if there is a physiological reason that allows this to happen. Perhaps a careful catalogue of species that can be so reproduced and those which cannot would differentiate a parting evolutionary pathway.

For any of you with access to Crypts in the wild (Peter?), next time please poke around a little and see if any rooting from leaves can be detected in a wild population.

I'll see if I can dig out the species ID from my notes. Don't hold your breath, though; it's been a while.

Ted Held, Detroit.

HTML

+More

From: ExoticRainforest <Steve at ExoticRainforest.com> on 2010.06.18 at 00:45:18(21126)
If we have any PhD candidates out there working on their doctoral
degree in botany this could make a useful and great research study!

Thanks Ted!

Steve

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.