IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Pinellia Polly Spout
From: "Tony Avent" <tony at plantdelights.com> on 2010.07.07 at 15:41:07(21161)
Dear Aroiders:

I wrote last year that the "sterile" Pinellia 'Polly Spout' had indeed
become fertile when it was grown near another flowering species of pinellia.
We planted our first batch of seed from P. 'Polly Spout'x P. tripartita last
year and they are now flowering. I had expected a range of variation, but
instead got what appears to be a case of obligate apomixis, as every
seedling appears clonal. We have established another isolation block with P.
'Polly Spout' and P. cordata and P. peltata. I will report on those
seedlings next season.

Tony Avent

+More
From: Tony Avent <Tony at plantdelights.com> on 2011.04.19 at 15:14:59(22032)
Aroiders:

I posted last summer that we discovered, thanks to a customer, that the self-sterile Pinellia 'Polly Spout' (P. tripartita x P. pedatisecta), would set seed when planted near another pinellia species. We planted an isolation block of P. 'Polly Spout' and P. cordata. By the end of last summer, all of the dozen seedlings from P. 'Polly Spout' flowered and appeared clonal, with no sign of P. cordata. This spring they have re-emerged and indeed still appear clonal. We had assumed last summer that they were in fact clones of P. 'Polly Spout', so we planted them in a row beside P. 'Polly Spout' to be sure. Now that they are in flower, they are identical to the original clone except for their size, which is uniformly 50% large than the parent...quite unexpected. There is no difference in growing conditions. I have posted images at
http://gallery.plantdelights.com/Aroids/Copy_of_Pinellia_Polly_Spout_small_Polly_Spout_x_cordata_large_leaf
http://gallery.plantdelights.com/Aroids/Copy_of_Pinellia_Polly_Spout_small_vs_Polly_Spout_x_cordata_large_flower2

Tony Avent

+More
From: Derek Powazek <fraying at gmail.com> on 2011.04.20 at 12:36:45(22035)
Very cool!

I was just thinking about Pinellia myself, as mine just bloomed. I
wrote about it here.

http://plantgasm.com/archives/4167

It's written for a general audience. Please do let me know if I got
anything wrong.

Which Pinellia should I get next?

Derek

+More
From: James Waddick <jwaddick at kc.rr.com> on 2011.04.21 at 12:59:20(22037)
> Pinellia 'Polly Spout' (P. tripartita x P. pedatisecta), ... and P.
>cordata. ...are identical to the original clone except for their
>size, which is uniformly 50% large than the parent...quite
>unexpected.

+More
From: Tony Avent <Tony at plantdelights.com> on 2011.04.21 at 21:58:40(22040)
Jim:

Last near the new cross was indeed fertile, but then we have it in a row beside P. 'Polly Spout'. To really find if it is also self sterile, we would need to move a plant into an isolation block, which we have not done. We grew additional seedlings from the new cross, and they, like their parents appear to be identical, although they aren't old enough for a size comparison yet.

It was my hope to have some characteristics of P. cordata in the hybrid, but no luck so far. I also added P. peltata to the isolation block with the original P. 'Polly Spout' in hope of hybrids that have characteristics of both parents. Stay tuned.

Tony Avent

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.