IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

re questions about Amorphophallus titanum
From: Scott Radford <s.rad4d at ymail.com> on 2010.07.21 at 17:18:50(21218)
Hi Nancy

Welcome the the wonderful IAS from another relative newcomer.

I grow mainly Colocasias and Alocasias and some other aroids. From my experiences with similar condition corms of these species to your own then I would try the following:

Firstly cut all the mushy infested areas off right back to firm material then treat the corm with a fungicide. I would not leave it in the soil but leave at ambient room temperature resting on top of (or just semi submerged in) DRY compost (I use a peat free growing medium myself)

Then sit its container in some water to encourage the root growth down to find that water - do not water from above. Colocasias and Alocasias always respond to heat from below too,
but with a 20lb corm that could be unfeasible. Hopefully that will encourage things to begin again with a fresh sprouting from the viable centre of the corm.

Good luck with whatever you try

Scott

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.