IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Colocasia flowers
From: "Marek Argent" <abri1973 at wp.pl> on 2010.09.11 at 23:48:06(21449)
Hello,

There are some cultivars among aroids that the spathes don't open,

for example Aglaonema 'Silver Queen' - the inflorescence usually rots inside the spathe.

and there are also much more cultivars being sterile or semi-sterile,

the female flowers may be pollinated, but the male ones don't produce pollen.

Best,

Marek

HTML

+More

From: Scott Radford <s.rad4d at ymail.com> on 2010.09.12 at 07:20:18(21450)
Hi Kyle

I grow lots of Colocasias here in the UK

I also have Zantedesschia in my pond and can say from my experience that the Colocasia flowers do not open up to the full extent of the Zantedeschia flowers - i.e to the point where the top is completely fanned out. In contrast Colocasia flowers do open up a bit, but they only need to open enough to allow the natural pollinator insects to get in, not necessarily our eyes.

But you are right, regardless, the bright yellow spathes on the darker varients such as Black Magic do look great.

Scott Radford strictly (un)professional aroid grower Gloucestershire, UK - Zone 10 in your terminology

HTML

+More

From: Scott Radford <s.rad4d at ymail.com> on 2010.09.12 at 07:32:26(21452)
In addition to my previous info I would like to state I am actually in Zone 9 (10 being rather hopeful) lol

From: "aroid-l-request@www.gizmoworks.com" www.gizmoworks.com>

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.