IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Dracontium sp ID please
From: "Daniel Devor" <plantguy at zoominternet.net> on 2010.10.09 at 16:04:54(21534)

Hi All,

I''ve just been fortunate to have a lovely Dracontium bloom that I got from a fantastic person earlier this spring and I wanted to share and try to get a positive ID if possible. My notes say that this was originally collected in Peru, but sometimes my notes are not all that wonderful to be perfectly honest!

As you can see, the spathe is wonderfully colored and mottled, the petioles are present at blooming (the one emerged at the same time as the influorescence) and have fairly large "thorns" compared to my other species. It is 20 inches (~51 cm) from the soil to the base of the spathe and the spathe itself is 12 inches (~30 cm) tall. The spadix itself is very small and if need be, I will try to get a picture for an ID.

You can also see the pics at the following link: http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/TreasuredBotanicals/Dracontium/

I also have an influorescence on my Dracontium amazoense emerging so if there is any advice on collecting pollen I could always try for an unusal cross.

I have had many great e-mail discussions with a few of you on the forum over the years about Dracontium and I appreciate all the advice you have given me that has allowed for a small amount of success on my part. While I do not have a greenhouse, they seem to do OK for me in my bathroom window on a heat mat for the winter (8 months) as they get a nice blast of humidity once a day. It has been a great spring through fall for me with my Dracontium as I have had 4 species bloom, including these two. I have a few other no-ID plants which I'm sure are large enough to bloom in the next year so maybe I will get lucky with a few others in the year to come!! If anyone has any tubers that they are willing to sell to feed my love of this genus please let me know.

Looking forward to hearing what the experts think.

Good growing all,

Dan

HTML

+More

From: Zach DuFran <zdufran at wdtinc.com> on 2010.10.11 at 15:07:00(21539)
Dan-

I’m glad to hear you will be joining the IAS. When you sign up, you can specify membership for the 2011 year if you would like.
If you have any problems, let me know. You can contact me personally at
zach@zachandchristie.com

HTML

+More

From: "Daniel Devor" <plantguy at zoominternet.net> on 2010.10.14 at 22:25:13(21546)
Thanks Zach, now that I am home for 48 hrs I will try to get to it.

By the way, for anyone that wondered what this Dracontium might be, Tom Croat gave me an ID of D. spruceanum, albeit a wonderfully colored one I think!!

My D. amazoense influorescence is also nearly open so it seems that the Dracontium are doing OK for me for now at least.

Dan

HTML

+More

From: "Marek Argent" <abri1973 at wp.pl> on 2010.10.20 at 04:00:10(21572)
Dear Dan,

I have posted the photos of your unid. Dracontium to the ID Center:
http://www.wschowa.com/abrimaal/araceum/unid/id.htm#dracontium

The link to photobucket requires a password known only to you, so nobody can see the photos.

Btw1: you typed "amazoense" and I sometimes make a different mistake "amazonenese" :)

Btw2: What is Amarygia? Is it a cross of Amaryllis and a different genus?

Best,
Marek

+More
From: "plantguy at zoominternet.net" <plantguy at zoominternet.net> on 2010.10.20 at 12:47:38(21573)
Hi Marek,

Thanks for posting the pics. As I mentioned, Tom Croat has given it at
least as sp. aff. spruceanum so that is likely correct. I forgot that I
locked my pics after someone on ebay was using them to sell plants. While
there are a few extra pics on PhotoBucket I posted 2 of them directly so
hopefully everyone could see those.

The funny thing is that when I write the name on the tag it is spelled
correctly....and then I take the tag out to take pics and leave it laying
in the back yard so it does not do much good anyway!

Amarygia is a cross between Amaryllis and Brunsvigia and these have been
around since the 1850s and originated in OZ.

Good growing,
Dan

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.