IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Foster's self-heading Philodendron species and hybrids
From: Eric Schmidt <leu242 at yahoo.com> on 2010.12.08 at 15:54:12(21677)
I'm doing research on Mulford Foster, and plant explorer and breeder who li ved in Orlando. He did extensive traveling and plant exploring and collecti ng to Central and South America from the 1930s until the late 1950s. He is best known for his bromeliad collections and subsequent hybrids but he also collected some self heading Philodendron and made a few hybrids. 2 of the collections he made were unknown species and were just called Fosters Speci es 1 and Fosters Species 2. Since then I have found Species 1 was P. cymbis pathum which is now known as P. brasiliense.

One hybrid he made was named P. x fosterianum and is listed as P. bipinnati fidum x P. Foster Species 1

(he also created Phildodendron 'Orlando' which is P. wendlandii x Philod endron Foster Species 2).

So my questions are;

1. Is Philodendron x fosterianum still known in cultivation ?

2. Philodendron Fosters Species 2, I haven't been able to find a name for, anyone familiar with it?

3. Is P. brasiliense (cymbispathum) in cultivation?

Twosources of information I found is an online article from the Florida State Horticultural Society from 1956 called "Some Notes on Philodendron Hy brids" by Erdman West and H.N. Miller (Florida Agricultural Experiment Stat ion,Gainesville). In it it refers to Foster's 2 unknown species as P. Speci es No.1 and P. Species No. 2

http://www.fshs.org/Proceedings/Password%20Protected/1956%20Vol.%2069/343-3 47%20(WEST).pdf

Also A.B. Graf's "Exotica, Series 3 Edition 9" book has some black and whit e photos of these Philodendrons

Thanks for any help or information anyone might have !

Eric Schmidt

+More
From: Johannes Moonen <emeraldjunglevillage at wanadoo.fr> on 2010.12.10 at 10:08:23(21681)
Hi Eric & All,

In the Guianas I think we have no aroids that are called after Mulford
Foster.

+More
From: Eduardo <eduardo.goncalves at inhotim.org.br> on 2010.12.10 at 12:54:34(21682)
Dear Eric,

Philodendron brasiliense is cultivared in Inhotim Botanic Garden (my collections) as in two other places in Brazil (Plantarum Botanic Garden and UCB Hortus). It is also quite common in the main road between Rio de Janeiro and SÃ £o Paulo.

Best wishes,

Eduardo

+More
From: Brian Williams <pugturd at windstream.net> on 2010.12.11 at 18:01:56(21685)
Philodendron brasiliense was being grown a few years ago at Selby
Botanical gardens. Not sure who collected it but I did manage to get
some photos 3 years ago. It may still be growing but very hard to say
they have changed so much.
+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.