IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Amorphophallus Interruptus questions
From: "E.Vincent Morano" <ironious2 at yahoo.com> on 2011.03.16 at 02:01:55(21978)
I have an am.Interruptus that I bought off of ebay, I've kept it warm
and grew it all winter and now its gone dormant. The leaf had turned
yellow and was shriveled when I removed it. When I dug up the tuber, a
lot of the roots had died off but it still had living white roots, some
of which look like they are actively growing. The tuber also looks light
in color. If I didnt know what it was, it could pass for a titanum.

My
question is: will it stay dormant all year or will it wake up in a few
months like a titanum would? If not then should I just let it dry out
and sit or should I store it in soil?

I refuse to participate in the recession,
Erin Vincent Morano

HTML

+More

From: "E.Vincent Morano" <ironious2 at yahoo.com> on 2011.03.25 at 17:37:27(21992)
I was hoping that with so many experts here that someone would know :-)

I refuse to participate in the recession,
Erin Vincent Morano

HTML

+More

From: Christopher Rogers <branchiopod at gmail.com> on 2011.03.28 at 12:58:49(21996)
Hiyer!

Too bad someone withe experience with this species did not write in. I was interested in the answer. I have no experience with it, and no literature on it. From the IAS website, I see that it is from Viet Nam. I would leave in soil, potted up nicely, sitting on a tray of damp sand. This should maintain some little moisture if the roots needs it, and hopefully not let it rot if it wants to be dry.

Good luck!

Christopher

HTML

+More

From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" <hetter at xs4all.nl> on 2011.03.28 at 20:03:45(21997)
Normally interruptus has a dormant period of a few months after leaf shed and then starts growing by itself. So I would keep it dry untill life returns to it.

Best,

Wilbert

HTML

+More

From: "E.Vincent Morano" <ironious2 at yahoo.com> on 2011.03.29 at 17:48:28(21998)
Thank you Dr. Hetterscheid.

I refuse to
participate in the recession,
Erin Vincent Morano

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.