IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Leaf bulbils
From: "Greg Ruckert" <greg at alpacamanagement.com> on 2011.04.03 at 02:24:23(21999)
As the growing season for Amorphophallus draws to a close I have a number of plants developing leaf bulbils.

What is the best way to handle these as the leaf dies down?

Do we need to use a knife to remove leaf tissue or is it safer to let the leaf tissue dessicate away from the bulbil?

Is there a risk of the bulbils rotting as the leaf collapses?

Cheers,

Greg Ruckert.

HTML

+More

From: arden dearden <arden at equatorialexotics.com> on 2011.04.04 at 04:05:15(22000)
All i do is half bury them on top of a pot,keep dryish until the
next growing season when they should shoot.I have accidentally left
them for months in barely damp spag and they just sat there and did
nothing.i dont worry about removing the remnants of leaves as they
just seem to naturally dessicate.Have actually never seen a bulbil
rot, up here leaves and petioles seem to disappear very quickly.Hope
thats a helpChris

HTML

+More

From: "Marek Argent" <abri1973 at wp.pl> on 2011.04.04 at 11:31:26(22001)
Hello,

If you keep the bulbils dry until they show buds, they will never rot.

But if the bulbils are too small, they may die.

Marek

HTML

+More

From: "D. Scott Taylor" <scott.taylor at brevardparks.com> on 2011.04.04 at 13:11:33(22002)
I generally just leave them on the leaf, on or off the plant, until the leaf dries, then remove them. I have not seen them rot during leaf curing.
dst

On Apr 2, 2011, at 10:24 PM, Greg Ruckert wrote:

HTML

+More

From: Christopher Rogers <branchiopod at gmail.com> on 2011.04.04 at 15:27:39(22003)
How yer goin'?

Just let them fall off the leaves all on their own. In the wild they come off on their own with out rotting.

Oo'roo,

Christopher

HTML

+More

From: Marco Motta <marco.giovanni.motta at gmail.com> on 2011.04.05 at 06:57:49(22004)
Usuali i wait until the leaf drying and place the bulbil on the same pot half buried without care of it.

I think that bulbils smaller than 1cm rarely generate a new plant.

Ciao

Inviato da iPhone
Marco Motta

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.