IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

blue anthurium
From: Jason Hernandez <jason.hernandez74 at yahoo.com> on 2011.11.15 at 03:31:28(22277)
Kalyani, I have not seen the blue anthurium, but I suspect I know what is up, because I _have_ seen "blue" Phalaenopsis orchids. They were actually just white Phalaenopsis orchids which had been fed some kind of dye to make their flowers appear blue. On the subsequent blooming, they would of course be back to white again. I suspect the same thing is happening with "blue" anthurium.

--- On Sun, 11/13/11, aroid-l-request@www.gizmoworks.com wrote:

Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 11:16:43 +0530

HTML

+More

From: Steve Marak <samarak at gizmoworks.com> on 2011.11.15 at 05:21:58(22278)

Attached are a couple of pictures of phalaenopsis we came across recently,
one "blue", one another color not found in nature ...

As Jason says, if you read the fine print they admit that future flowers
will be white.

Steve

+More
From: "Weaver, Bill (NorCal GDS Team Lead)" <bill.weaver at hp.com> on 2011.11.15 at 06:16:36(22280)
Interestingly enough, the blue Phalenopsis are the result of injecting dye directly into the flower spike.
If you take a look at the base of the flower spike just above where it come s out of the leaves you'll find
a neat little round hole. A new twist on the old way of dyeing carnations.

+More
From: Hannon <othonna at gmail.com> on 2011.11.15 at 13:49:18(22283)
A friend recently tried to replicate this (with Phalaenopsis) and soaked
the roots in blue dye ... and got blue roots! Flowers were unaffected.

On 14 November 2011 19:31, Jason Hernandez wrote:

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.