IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Trip
From: The Silent Seed <santoury at aol.com> on 2011.11.22 at 23:26:36(22374)

Hey gang
I'm back - I did end up in South Florida - and came back with a very full car - photos to come - But for right now - what the heck is this? For anybody familiar with South Floridian trees. I doubt they are ripe (argh! I want seeds) - but they are rock hard - take a peep and let me know what you think. Just arrived back at 4 pm today.

Jude

HTML

+More

From: "George Rodriguez" <george1617 at msn.com> on 2011.11.23 at 13:58:43(22377)
That is the seed pod of the Mahogani tree, ( Swietenia) a tropical tree valued for it's commercial wood.

----- Original Message -----

HTML

+More

From: "Denis" <denis at skg.com> on 2011.11.23 at 15:57:44(22380)
Jude:

Not sure where you collected this and from what tree.

However, Looks like large seed pod from a South Florida Mahogany tree. Seed pod splits on suture lines spewing out winged seeds that spiral down in the wind. Native to hard wood hammocks of South Florida it has Fast growing soft wood used for wood working. Mahogany tree can be huge and Usually has a split crotch sort of branching habit when planted as a single specimen (out of the hammock)which makes it an ideal candidate for dropping huge limbs in the street in thunderstorms and hurricanes.

As children we were stupid enough to have hand grenade fights with these seed pods. Ouch! That thing is hard and heavy.

Denis

HTML

+More

From: tm8ters4u at aol.com on 2011.11.23 at 16:58:36(22384)
Mahogany Tree Seed Pods

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 22, 2011, at 6:26 PM, The Silent Seed wrote:

HTML

+More

From: Sheldon Hatheway <sfhatheway at yahoo.com> on 2011.11.23 at 18:47:23(22387)
Hey, Jude,

(I can't believe I actually said that). Your pictures didn't come through. Please try again. I would like to see the tree. I also have a tree grown from seed collected by a friend while visiting Puerto Rico many years ago, and neither of us has a clue as to what it is. It has large (3 ft long) doubly compound leaves, a beautifully striated (corrugated?) bark, and red-orange flower clusters (according to the unfortunately fuzzy picture accompanying the seeds). I've had it growing in my front yard for about 10 years and it has survived, without any apparent damage, through winter temps as low as 5 deg. F., but has not bloomed . . . yet. I know it is used as a landscape plant in parts of Florida because I saw one in one
of those real estate drive-by shootings (video shootings, that is). Unfortunately the realtor was more interested in showing the house rather than identifying the tree. What's the matter with these people? Have they no sense of priorities?!! Hopefully next summer, when there are actually leaves on the tree, I'll take the time to take some pics for one of those "off topic" ID requests. I really would like to know what the thing is. I tried Google and got enough hits to keep me busy for the rest of my unnatural life. So you know why it's still unidentified, at least by me. Maybe someone else on Aroid-L has an idea what it is, or can point me to an appropriate reference work.

Well, back to work!

Sheldon Hatheway

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.