IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Sheldon's Mystery Tree
From: "Elizabeth Campbell" <desinadora at mail2designer.com> on 2011.11.24 at 13:33:10(22398)
Just off the top of my head, Royal Poinciana (Delonix regia) comes in as a rather likely candidate. Huge double-compound pinnate leaves, ridged bark, and gorgeous red-orange flower clusters.

Elizabeth Campbell

HTML

+More

From: Sheldon Hatheway <sfhatheway at yahoo.com> on 2011.11.24 at 20:18:12(22411)

Thanks for your response, Elizabeth. I was hoping myself that it might be an extra-hardy Delonix, but the leaflets are wrong. All of the Delonix pictures I've seen have a very small, mimosa-type of leaflets. My tree has leaflets that are about 3" long by 1" wide and pointed on both ends. I really should have taken a picture of a single entire leaf before they all fell off. I'll try harder next year!!

I'm attaching (I hope) a picture of the tree trunk. I think the pattern of the bark is interesting.

Thanks again.

Sheldon Hatheway

HTML

+More

From: Kyle Baker <kylefletcherbaker at yahoo.com> on 2011.11.26 at 11:59:27(22415)
I missed photos of the foliage, but some double pinnate compound leaves are Fraxinus, Gymnocladus, I'll have to go back to my Woody identification notes for this one....post photo of foliage again?

Mr. Kyle Fletcher Baker, MCN
Maine Zone 5

HTML

+More

From: The Silent Seed <santoury at aol.com> on 2011.11.26 at 16:47:35(22422)
Look up Cassia. Tell us if that is more along the lines of your tree.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

HTML

+More

From: The Silent Seed <santoury at aol.com> on 2011.11.27 at 15:10:36(22426)
There were no photos of the foliage.
Gymnocladus does not have orange flowers. Do you remember what the seed pods look like? That would help a lot.

HTML

+More

From: Sheldon Hatheway <sfhatheway at yahoo.com> on 2011.11.27 at 16:34:32(22428)

I wish I could. By the time I remembered that I didn't have any foliage pictures, they had all fallen off for the winter. It will be late Spring before there are any mature leaves on it. Hopefully, I'll have my act back together by then! In the meantime, I've scribbled down an abbreviated drawing of a single leaf and scanned it into my computer. Here's hoping both pics attach well.

Sheldon Hatheway

HTML

+More

From: Sheldon Hatheway <sfhatheway at yahoo.com> on 2011.11.28 at 01:40:30(22431)
It's been about 15 years or so and I can't say for certain what they looked like, but I have a hazy mental picture of a flat pod and flattened seeds much like a Caesalpinia. However, I was also planting some Caesalpinia around that time and I may have them confused. As I mentioned earlier, the photo accompanying the seeds was fairly fuzzy and the flowers looked like a red/orange/yellow blob. I guess that's what happens when someone snaps a picture at night without benefit of any light other than a few lanterns on the outdoor dining terrace. He would have taken a better picture the following day, but his return flight was leaving that night. If only it would bloom!!!

To: aroid-l@www.gizmoworks.com

HTML

+More

From: "Elizabeth Campbell" <desinadora at mail2designer.com> on 2011.11.27 at 15:03:53(22434)
Erythrina crista-galli is the other tree that comes to mind, especially now that I see the bark.

HTML

+More

From: Sheldon Hatheway <sfhatheway at yahoo.com> on 2011.11.29 at 15:20:45(22438)
I just finished an online search for Erythrina crista-galli. Such beautiful flowers!! Oh, how I wish that were my tree, but the leaves are wrong. The descriptions given on the net were for only 3 leaflets per leaf. Mine has dozens of leaflets per leaf. The furrowing of the bark is also noticeably different. Oh, woe!! and back to the drawing board.

Sheldon

HTML

+More

From: "Ertelt, Jonathan B" <jonathan.ertelt at Vanderbilt.Edu> on 2011.11.30 at 05:42:19(22440)
Sheldon,

I may be wrong but I believe that all the Erythrina are just once pinnate w hereas your leaves are obviously twice pinnate. I'll try and do some checki ng on that character tomorrow when I have the right books in front of me.

Jonathan

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.