IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

"No-cal" noodles made from Amorphophallus konjac
From: Don Martinson <llmen at wi.rr.com> on 2011.12.20 at 01:53:39(22491)
"No-cal" noodles made from Amorphophallus konjac:

http://tinyurl.com/c6z2zdb

Don Martinson

+More
From: "Sherry Gates" <TheTropix at msn.com> on 2011.12.20 at 13:01:29(22492)
I wonder if these noodles also help burn fat. Has anyone else noticed the product "Lipozene" on tv commercials? It's supposed to be a fat burner, and it shows Amorphophallus konjac listed on the face of the box.

Merry Christmas & many Blessings!

Sherry

HTML

+More

From: "Marek Argent" <abri1973 at wp.pl> on 2011.12.22 at 18:59:14(22495)
A few years ago I saw pills containing glucomannan extracted from A. konjac, but noodles or any othe food not yet.

This page is available only in the Polish version, it shows two products,

There is an inflorescence of A. paeoniifolius instead konjac, but it was the designer's mistake who wasn't a botanist.

http://araceum.abrimaal.pro-e.pl/slownik/aplefit.htm

Marek

HTML

+More

From: piaba <piabinha at yahoo.com> on 2011.12.22 at 20:36:02(22496)
well, no expert here, but anything you eat will make you burn fat. the simple act of eating, breathing, living, burns fat. but if you eat chocolate cake, you are taking in more fat than you are burning. whereas if you eat celery or cucumbers, you are burning more calories than you are taking in... so if that's all you eat, you'll lose weight, of course.

i don't know if konjac products are truly no-calorie. that sounds not possible. probably very low, but not zero fat.

i scanned that article and found it kinda annoying. i've eaten konjac products for years, never had a problem with smell for example. (of course, you can cook the shirataki noodles as if they were pasta, with tomato sauce or make mac-n-cheese, and expect the same results). there's no smell or taste to
them, it's a texture thing. konnyaku bricks are chewy and can be cut to pieces and stir-fried with veggies, in a curry sauce, for example; or cooked in soups/stews. the japanese have a traditional winter broth/stew (oden), made with a dashi-based broth, with konnyaku, simmered daikon (big white radish), boiled egg, surimi (fish cake, fish balls), shiitake mushroom, usually served with a dab of mustard. it's great in the winter.

years ago, in NY, there was a rest. called sweet-n-tart café, which served innovative and unusual food. to this day, people i talk to ask me what happened to it, and we reminisce about the food they served. they had tongshui (????), which were sweet soups served as dessert. but they also made delicious wonton noodle soups, and the noodles were konjac noodles, tied in very cute, translucent bundles, served with wontons and spinach. it was a
great place, and lots of people miss it.

HTML

+More

From: piabinha at yahoo.com on 2011.12.26 at 04:27:40(22497)
oopps, i meant "you caN'T" below...

On Dec 22, 2011, at 3:36 PM, piaba wrote:

of course, you can cook the shirataki noodles as if they were pasta, with tomato sauce or make mac-n-cheese, and expect the same results.

--Apple-Mail-74A978AA-6DAA-4B7C-A7B1-3CEB2920401A--

HTML

+More

From: Jason Hernandez <jason.hernandez74 at yahoo.com> on 2011.12.28 at 22:53:22(22499)
"No-cal" simply means indigestible, i.e. it will pass through your body int act. This actually can have some benefit for people whose weight problems are due to excessive feelings of hunger, because it will make you feel full while you are waiting for it to pass through. And if you feel full, you w ill not be eating excess snacks.

But in the long run, it will not substitute for changes in habits.

Jason Hernandez

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.