IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Arum Varieties and Sports
From: DAVID LEEDY <djleedy at sbcglobal.net> on 2012.02.20 at 20:13:52(22564)

Hello All,

As an avid aroid collector since before the International Aroid Society was formed, and, now, a novice arum collector, I have been and now am interested in varieties (cultivars) and sports with different foliage (color, shape or texture).

In his book, Peter Boyce mentions three cultivars of arum italicum ('Chameleon', 'Tiny', and 'White Winter'). In my browsing for retail sources on the internet, I have found several others, including 'Pamela Harper' and 'Jack of Spots', the photographs of which appear to be quite distinct from the three mentioned. And I am sure there are many more. I certainly want to acquire some of these.

In Peter’s section on arum maculatum, he mentions its variability, yet I am having difficulty finding a source for even the all green form, much less the leaf form with black spots. I have even read elsewhere that those spots are red or deep purple, but have never seen a picture of such or any source for acquisition. Yet I am sure there must be many varieties and sports, as I only recently found what appears to be a variegated form.

Please let me know through this list or privately (djleedy@sbcglobal.net) as to any possible sources for varieties and sports of arum (any species or hybrid).

Thank you.

David Leedy

---1396844141-1481426397-1329768832=:59383--

HTML

+More

From: Tony Avent <Tony at plantdelights.com> on 2012.02.21 at 11:14:10(22565)
David:

When Ellen Hornig was running her nursery,
she had a strong focus on arum. Since she closed, we have tried to pick up
that torch, but it takes several years to build up enough stock, but they are
on the way. Perhaps others are doing the same.

Tony

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.