IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Edible Chubas
From: Jason Hernandez <jason.hernandez74 at yahoo.com> on 2012.12.10 at 21:53:20(22730)
Something I have been thinking about: since I am in the process of relocating to warmer climes, and always like to grow my own vegetables, I was hoping to grow my own taro or eddoe (I prefer eddoe, as the small sized chubas are easier to manage culinarily). My question: can the edible chubas purchased in the market be planted out and grow, as we do with potatoes? Any tricks I need to know?

--607277540-1842524276-1355176400=:99992--
--==============‡58600180201702086==

HTML

+More

From: brian lee <lbmkjm at yahoo.com> on 2012.12.10 at 22:22:47(22731)
Dear Jason,

Aloha.

Chubas....you have been channeling the late, Julius Boos. Here in Hawaii,
araimo is commonly grown from the tubers in well drained soil in full sun. The leaves are edible too, but, cook them and the tubers well or you will pay the calcium oxalate price. When you buy your tubers, just make sure they have no blemishes and are fresh and plump, not dried and wrinkled. It should be easy. Typical taro is a bit different, and most of them are grown from the tops with a bit of tuber. This depends on the variety and how it produces offsets.

Good luck and good eating.

Aloha,

Leland

HTML

+More

From: Brian Williams <pugturd at windstream.net> on 2012.12.10 at 22:28:58(22732)
As long as the tubers have not been frozen they should grow. I found
most Mexican stores carry malanga or Xanthosoma's and most Asian markets
carry Taro/Colocasia. I have found a few times extremely large tubers
found in asian markets but they never grow I believe they have been
frozen or treated. They tend to rot quickly.
+More
From: "John Criswick" <criswick at spiceisle.com> on 2012.12.11 at 02:35:37(22733)
They can, but even the top sliced off will grow, once it has the growing point. But wherever you are going you will be able to get tops (with some of the green stems) from other growers. John.

From: aroid-l-bounces@www.gizmoworks.com [mailto:aroid-l-bounces@www.gizmoworks.com] On Behalf Of Jason Hernandez
Sent: Monday, December 10, 2012 1:53 PM
To: aroid-l@www.gizmoworks.com

HTML

+More

From: "John Criswick" <criswick at spiceisle.com> on 2012.12.11 at 03:38:49(22734)

If you are moving to the tropics you will not be dealing with imported material. John.

-----Original Message-----

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.