IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

I know what is it all about
From: Ken Mosher <ken at spatulacity.com> on 2013.09.10 at 19:52:23(22916)
Zach and Albert and fellow members,

I probably can't make the IAS show that's happening in 2 weeks but if I did attend I'd make sure to voice my confidence in the board as publicly as possible. I agree that Greg sounded confrontational; maybe we were wrong about that. Being involved in several all-volunteer organizations I know how hard it can be to get all the work done that needs to be done. And the most difficult problem is always how to address dwindling membership and how to do outreach effectively.

I don't have any clever ideas with regard to growing the membership nor could I take my own advice of putting myself in charge of executing it instead of demanding that another put-upon volunteer do it.

I'll just close by saying that between aroid-l, the yearly IAS conference, the well produced, well edited and content-rich newsletter, the content-rich and technically impressive aroid.org and Aroidiana that I see a vibrant and healthy horticultural society. It's triply impressive that these things are accomplished with an international board. It's hard enough keeping the Connecticut Cactus & Succulent Society going strong with just one small state to cover. (But I'll brag that we have one of the best statewide C&S clubs and that we frequently get feedback that we're lots of fun and very welcoming to visitors and new members. I've heard that many hort clubs, especially bonsai and orchid societies, can be cliquey to the point of hostility.)

And the 4 IAS conferences that I attended in that past proved that the IAS is also a friendly, welcoming group. Every person was approachable and eager to help and I quickly made several new friends that I maintain contact with. We're also very lucky to have world-renowned aroiders that contribute heavily to the newsletter, Aroidiana and even aroid-l. Not many clubs can boast that. I'd fawn over Lord P and Allan Galloway except that I wouldn't want to shortchange the non-phallus obsessed experts out there that contribute at least as much.

Anyone that's super-frustrated or doesn't like the direction the IAS is going in should run for a seat on the board or become very active in another way. If you can't take an active part in finding the solution to an identified problem and then help implement the solution then you should refrain from venting - at least in a public forum.

-Ken

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.