IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Tropical vegetation !
From: "John Criswick" <criswick at spiceisle.com> on 2013.11.04 at 00:29:22(22924)

Please see attached photo of a “wild” (i.e. not cultivated) Xanthosoma called locally “Toyo”. The stem or trunk is fed to pigs. The guy in the photo is 5 feet 9 inches tall.

John.

------=_NextPart_001_012E_01CED8B1.DF40A5D0--

HTML

+More

From: "D. Christopher Rogers" <branchiopod at gmail.com> on 2013.11.04 at 16:38:32(22927)
Very nice plant!!!

Where was this photo taken?

Christopher

HTML

+More

From: Eduardo Gomes Goncalves <edggon at gmail.com> on 2013.11.04 at 17:06:31(22929)
Dear John,
Locally where? Really looks like Xanthosoma mafaffa.
Very best wishes,

Eduardo.

HTML

+More

From: "Tom Croat" <Thomas.Croat at mobot.org> on 2013.11.04 at 20:42:03(22931)
Dear Eduardo:

What is the natural range of X. maffafa and how does it differ from X. sagittifolium. Are both distributed widely and cultivated to the same extent?

Tom

HTML

+More

From: "John Criswick" <criswick at spiceisle.com> on 2013.11.06 at 04:30:33(22932)
On the island of Grenada, 12 degrees north. John.

From: aroid-l-bounces@www.gizmoworks.com [mailto:aroid-l-bounces@www.gizmoworks.com] On Behalf Of D. Christopher Rogers
Sent: Monday, November 04, 2013 8:39 AM
To: Discussion of aroids
Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Tropical vegetation !

Very nice plant!!!

Where was this photo taken?

Christopher

HTML

+More

From: "John Criswick" <criswick at spiceisle.com> on 2013.11.06 at 04:28:56(22933)
Dear Eduardo,

How wonderful to be in touch with the great Eduardo Goncalves!

Sou admirador do Brasil e su linguagem. E voce fala muito bem ingles tambem.

Well the “tannia” as we call it is growing wild on the island of Grenada, 12 degrees north, about 100 Km from the Venezuelan coast.

Tannia is the name applied to the cultivated cvs of Xanthosoma, of which the tubers are here cooked and eaten.

However, this Xanthosoma in the photo is not cultivated, but grows either indigenously or as a naturalised sp. in the high rainfall, forested mountains of Grenada. It is locally called Toyo.

As for the name X. mafaffa, I have seen this in Graf’s Exotica, and there is a similarity but I cannot say if they are the same. I note that the name “mafaffa” appears to be Mexican.

Prompted by the late, and much lamented, Julius Boos of Trinidad and Florida, I preserved an inflorescence of “toyo” in alcohol and can send you photos if you are interested.

Com saudacoes cordiais,

Joao.

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.