IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

What Happened To My Seedlings
From: DAVID LEEDY <djleedy at sbcglobal.net> on 2013.12.28 at 15:19:59(22953)
Every day, at least once, I look at my 6" pots containing 8 - 12 seeds. I feel elated when a seed pokes its little nose up through the planting mix. I have about 12 pots full of seeds, but I know every seed in each pot.

A couple of weeks I thought I noted one, but later was unable to relocate it in the pot. For two weeks now, I have been watching the progress of a seedling, the only one in the pot to stick its nose above the planting mix, anxiously awaiting the leaf to unfurl. When it did, three days ago, I was again elated. Today that seedling is gone. What
happened to my seedling?

I looked around the pot to see if I could find the dead seedling. Maybe damp off had hit it fast. I couldn't find it.

A couple of pots later and a seedling was laying on top of the planting mix as though it was pulled up and left there. However the planting mix, itself, was not disturbed. What happened to my seedling?

I have noticed some small pecans and pecan shells on the surface of some of my other pots and usually the soil is disturbed. I figured that maybe the squirrels had been hiding the pecans in the pots (certainly discover that in the spring when the pecan seed germinates and a tree grows in my pot). But in the case of my seedlings, the planting mix was not disturbed. Could it be that what I thought was squirrels was really birds and that they have been pulling up aroid
seed?

HTML

+More

From: "PlantsAndStuff.com" <ironious2 at yahoo.com> on 2013.12.28 at 18:14:14(22954)
Sounds like birds or bugs

To: Aroid-L List ; Arisaema Group (AEG) Discussion List (and other hardy Aroids

HTML

+More

From: Hermine Stover <hermine at endangeredspecies.com> on 2013.12.28 at 18:20:40(22955)
At 07:19 AM 12/28/2013, you wrote:
>Every day, at least once, I look at my 6" pots containing 8 - 12
>seeds. I feel elated when a seed pokes its little nose up through
>the planting mix. I have about 12 pots full of seeds, but I know
>every seed in each pot.
>
>A couple of weeks I thought I noted one, but later was unable to
>relocate it in the pot.

You have a case of CREATURES.

hermine

+More
From: Kyle Baker <kylefletcherbaker at yahoo.com> on 2013.12.28 at 22:20:24(22956)
Mice or Chipmunks...

Mr. Kyle Fletcher Baker, MCN
Maine Zone 5

HTML

+More

From: "Weaver, Bill (NorCal DCIS Team Lead)" <bill.weaver at hp.com> on 2013.12.29 at 03:27:25(22957)
If they are outdoors don't count out birds as the culprit for plucking the seedlings out of the ground.

As suggested, the Pecan shells suggest you at the very least have squirrels and/or rats

From: aroid-l-bounces@www.gizmoworks.com [mailto:aroid-l-bounces@www.gizmoworks.com]

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.