IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Australians
From: "John Criswick" <criswick at spiceisle.com> on 2014.09.01 at 20:42:24(23090)
I have received a letter from Australian plantsman Michael Ferrero, in response to some correspondence from Aroid-L which I had forwarded to him. Evidently he would like me to send it in as a contribution to the ongoing discussion of aroid plantsmen. So here it is.

John Criswick.

HTML

+More

From: brian lee <lbmkjm at yahoo.com> on 2014.09.01 at 19:50:52(23091)
Dear Mike…via John,

Aloha.

I knew Len Butt for many years via snail mail when he co-founded the Cycad Society of Australia. I never met him in person, but, as a pen pal, we were extremely close mates. I often spoke to him about hybridizing Cordyline fruticosa since we both were engaged in that. Initially we wrote primarily about cycads and palms, but, we had many other common interests and soon it became clear that our friendship was the most important aspect of our snail mail correspondences. I am very happy to hear that Len is remembered for all he did in the horticultural arena of Australia.

Aloha,

Leland Miyano

HTML

+More

From: DAVID LEEDY <djleedy at sbcglobal.net> on 2014.09.01 at 19:59:12(23092)
What a great addition to this discussion, John. I know there are a lot more Ozzie plantsmen than have been brought up here. I am familiar with the name Arden Dearden, either from my friend David Burnett of Sydney or Bill Huddy of Cairns.

I should like to add, although I could be mistaken, that David Burnett rediscovered some Alocasia in Borneo, which had been lost to horticulture. I believe they were A. 'Green Shield' and A. rugosum. Also, Bill Huddy shared some Typhonium brownii with me and when I sent some of the tubers to Wilbert Hetterscheid, he
was fascinated. I don't know where Bill got them or why Wilbert was fascinated.

I am also familiar with a woman botanist or collector from Australia, but her name and accomplishments have escaped me for now.

David Leedy

HTML

+More

From: a sunjian <asjbiotek at gmail.com> on 2014.09.02 at 03:18:16(23093)
Great information about Len Butt, and the contact information certainly will be a great help in obtaining information for an article I'd like to write for the Meco site. Thanks!​

--047d7bdc9f020ba6b505020c927c--
--==============P46135412410185592==

HTML

+More

From: "Betsy Feuerstein" <ecuador10 at comcast.net> on 2014.09.02 at 16:43:38(23095)
Another person to remember is Scott Hyndman. Scott was very active in IAS for many years. He now lives elsewhere but he does deserve due credit in his IAS efforts.

In the big picture of the past, there are so many who really did a great deal for IAS, some as growers, some as collectors, some as organizational contributors. I am sure there are more that have not been mentioned. I know there are some active in the Miami area/South Florida at this time who should be mentioned. Maybe Marie can fill us in on those individuals. I know I have heard hosts of the Christmas Party, the show banquet or other projects. Certainly Tom Moore has done a great deal helping at the shows. He is always there behind the desk. I know there are others. Please someone in the know make sure these individuals are given their due credit.

Betsy

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.