IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Introduction / true to species material
From: Tom Croat <Thomas.Croat at mobot.org> on 2014.09.28 at 03:41:39(23112)
Dear John:

Anthurium scherzerianum is rare, even in the wilds of Costa Rica where it was described. It does indeed come from high elevations, 1300-2400 m and I can’t imagine that it could be long cultivated at near sea level.

Tom

HTML

+More

From: "John Criswick" <criswick at spiceisle.com> on 2016.01.08 at 01:18:19(23520)

Hi Tom,

HTML

+More

From: Conrad Fleming <conradfleming at yahoo.com> on 2016.01.08 at 16:03:08(23522)
Dear Simon,

Your message on A. scherzerianum (which I also knew as a young collector back in the 1970s) highlights what I have always stressed, namely that true species are being pushed out of cultivation by hybrid swarms. Have you ever tried to obtain a true Aglaonema sp. lately? The horticultural industry is helping to destroy the precious, disappearing legacy of our martyred planet by replacing true spp. with man-made hybrid bastards. And governments are making it practically impossible to collect and therefore propagate fresh stocks of wild spp. At some point in the latter part of this century, people are going to realize just what a conservation opportunity was missed. I'll be happily and safely dead and gone by that time.

I rarely respond to forums but I thought this is a major issue that must be addressed. If anyone wants to contact me personally, my e-mail is conraddfleming@gmail.com

All the best,

Conrad Fleming

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.