IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Konjac is coming!
From: Skip Hanson <skiphanson23 at gmail.com> on 2016.02.03 at 17:13:15(23558)
All,
Hello. I recently purchased a very large Konjac. It’s about 18” across. I have it in a nice, dry box near a window. Well it’s starting to shoot! The growth is about 9 inches right now.

I live in Northern CA and right now it’s wet and cold. There is no way I’m potting this now and putting it out. So, what should I do with it? Should I can pot it now and keep it inside or should I just leave it in the box and watch the magic?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Skip

HTML

+More

From: Rich Grenyer <grenyer at gmail.com> on 2016.02.03 at 18:19:31(23559)
Hi Skip - there are others with lots more knowledge than me on list but having just had this happen here in the UK: watch out!

Depending on the temperature regime at which it has been stored at this time of the year and in long that size of tuber you could well be looking at a flower spike rather than a leaf spike. It's fair to say that letting A. konjac flower in the house is not for the faint hearted, or those wishing for domestic harmony.

In a desperate attempt to save both my relationship *and* the konjac I bundled a trash bag over the flower once it had unfurled, fastened it right around the stalk with masking tape, and then double bagged it in the same way. This did quite a good job of limiting the smell to the room in which it was in, but it's a noticeable addition to the household odour even still.

I'm not actually sure it's necessary, but in advance of flowering I did put the tube in a pot of peat-free compost, which I occasionally watered very lightly.

Of course, if it is a normal leaf spike, then you will need to put it up and keep it well watered and fed if necessary. With the tuber of that size, you're looking at a very significant growth, and I think it's may well dwarf most rooms in most houses. In my experience they don't need, or even really like, very bright sunlight, so moving it away from the window would probably be plausible, although you will find it will bend towards the light.

Good luck!

HTML

+More

From: Don Martinson <llmen at wi.rr.com> on 2016.02.03 at 18:48:11(23561)
Dear Skip,

I think that most of our members will agree that what you are seeing is a blooming stalk and with proper support, the corm can be completely dry and at ambient temperature and it will bloom as normal. Only after the bloom has finished and the stalk withered will the corm want to put out roots (they’ll sprout from around the top) and grow. It’s only then that you’ll want to plant the comb, hopefully in it’s final position for the year. When the flower stalk comes off, you see a small, pink sprout underneath, which will be the leaf stalk to come. Other members may have slightly different techniques, but this has always worked for me.

Good Luck and Hold Your Nose!

-- Don Martinson🌿

HTML

+More

From: Skip Hanson <skiphanson23 at gmail.com> on 2016.02.03 at 20:40:43(23564)
Thank you Rich! I think you are correct in that it is a flower. How long does the scent last?

I'm pretty excited...maybe it will encourage my kids to finally move out ;)

Cheers,

Skip

HTML

+More

From: Rich Grenyer <grenyer at gmail.com> on 2016.02.03 at 23:55:39(23566)
4 days between first whiff and safety. Days 2&3 are the worst.

On 3 Feb 2016, at 20:40, Skip Hanson wrote:

Thank you Rich! I think you are correct in that it is a flower. How long does the scent last?

I'm pretty excited...maybe it will encourage my kids to finally move out ;)

Cheers,

Skip

HTML

+More

From: Douglas Bolt <dbolt at boltassociates.com> on 2016.02.04 at 01:29:14(23567)
Not sure I'd describe it as a "sent", but my
wife tells me to take the thing in the garage when she first
smells something foul. After 4 days, the smell is almost gone and
I bring it back inside. Your mileage may vary (YMMV, or in this
case, YSMV.

Four days of unpleasantness is a small price to pay for a plant
that is either beautiful, or in the crawl space the rest of the
year.

doug

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.