IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Recommendations?
From: Charles Gramling <chazmg1 at citlink.net> on 2016.04.01 at 17:36:59(23597)
I will be traveling to MO, TN, NC, SC, GA. Other than the MO Botanical Garden are there any must see collections?
From: "John Criswick" <criswick at spiceisle.com> on 2016.04.03 at 15:28:02(23598)
Not especially for Aroids, but the Atlanta Botanical Gardens is a must see.
They have superb climate-controlled houses that contain cloud forest
wonders. John.

+More
From: "Ertelt, Jonathan B" <jonathan.ertelt at Vanderbilt.Edu> on 2016.04.03 at 16:28:03(23600)
Charles -
I would definitely second John's recommendation of Atlanta Bot. Gdns - still relatively young, it is already a world class botanical garden, with numerous impressive collections - and their upper elevation house is absolutely amazing. Obviously I have no idea how you're traveling or what kind of time you have, but the collections at UNC Charlotte used to be quite impressive (I say used to because I was there 20+ years ago and helped make it so, and have been back to visit several times since, but probably not in the past 10 years). Also if you're in Nashville TN for any length of time I'd be glad to show you around our houses on the Vanderbilt campus - no where near the size or scope of either MoBot or Atlanta, but we have a fair sampling of aroids as well as lots of other fun plants - not necessarily warranting a two hour out of your way stop, but again I don't know how you're traveling. Hope you get to see lots, regardless.
Jonathan

+More
From: Charles Gramling <chazmg1 at citlink.net> on 2016.04.05 at 23:57:13(23601)
I am in Nashville Wed PM & Thu AM, the on to Chattanooga.

I got a very early start in MN this AM & made the MO Botanic Gardens - WOW have they the land & have spent the time - everything I hoped for, except too early for the big bloom.

I was thinking of stopping at Vanderbilt to look at that paleo squirrel, thanks.

+More
From: Deni Bown <denibown at gmail.com> on 2016.04.07 at 18:23:58(23602)
And I would endorse that recommendation though it's some years since I was there. Of all the orchid collections I have seen - being once an orchid grower/collector these are quite a few - and attempts to create key ecological niches, this is the best. Just spend long enough to really appreciate it if you can. It struck me that this was not just about $$$. There are far bigger collections and displays but here is/was a vision and intention that no money can buy. I wonder who and how?. Enjoy!

Deni Bown, Head, IITA Forest Unit, Ibadan, Nigeria.

HTML

+More

From: Steve Marak <samarak at gizmoworks.com> on 2016.04.08 at 05:27:48(23603)
And I'll third or fourth it. Botanical gardens tend to each have
things for which they are justly known - examples to me are Denver
for the rock and dry gardens, MoBot for many things including the
Climatron, the research and research collections, and the history,
and at Atlanta the Fuqua Orchid House and Dorothy Chapman Fuqua
Conservatory are two of those things. Cathy had a conference in
Atlanta one summer; I tagged along and spent 3 entire days there.
Really remarkable. When I was there, they had a number of
insectivorous plant people on staff and their collection of
Nepenthes, Drosera, Heliamphora, Pinguicula, Cephalotus, Dionaea,
and Sarracenia was incredible.

I happened to be there when they had the Chihuly glass exhibit
installed, and the juxtaposition of his odd shapes with the plants
was at times surreal. That's where I was also first introduced to
the orchid genus Oeceoclades and the entire Eulophiinae subtribe.

Steve

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.