IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Dieffenbachia seguine
From: Jason Hernandez <jason.hernandez74 at yahoo.com> on 2016.06.30 at 03:41:31(23646)
Dear aroiders,

In a couple of months, I plan to go once again to the Dominican Republic, where Dieffenbachia seguine is common. Unfortunately, my search for primary literature on this species turns up almost entirely papers having to do with the species in cultivation, little if anything on its life in its natural habitat. Does anyone know where I can find out about its life history, natural history, ecology, and so forth?

Jason Hernandez

HTML

+More

From: "John Criswick" <criswick at spiceisle.com> on 2016.06.30 at 13:29:17(23647)
Jason, I cannot help you in this regard but wonder if you could tell me the meaning of the name “seguine”. It is of interest to me because in Grenada where I live and where Dieffenbachia seguine occurs, the local name for this plant is “siggin”. At least, that is how it is pronounced.

John Criswick.

HTML

+More

From: Nancy Greig <ngreig at hmns.org> on 2016.06.30 at 20:57:31(23648)
I believe “Seguin” was probably the name of the original collector.

Nancy Greig

HTML

+More

From: "John Criswick" <criswick at spiceisle.com> on 2016.07.01 at 01:26:22(23649)
Very possibly but is he mentioned anywhere as a collector? ( There was a Juan Seguin who took part in the Texas revolution.) It is remarkable that a Spanish collector’s name would have become the common name for a plant in an island with no Spanish history whatsoever. The pronunciation has been retained almost unchanged, in a French creole- speaking island.

From: aroid-l-bounces@www.gizmoworks.com [mailto:aroid-l-bounces@www.gizmoworks.com] On Behalf Of Nancy Greig
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2016 1:58 PM
To: 'Discussion of aroids'
Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Dieffenbachia seguine

I believe “Seguin” was probably the name of the original collector.

Nancy Greig

HTML

+More

From: "Marek Argent" <abri1973 at wp.pl> on 2016.06.30 at 23:06:31(23650)

Hello,

I think it is pronounced "segin", similarly to "begin", with the accent on -in, but e is phonetic, not "ee".

Marek

HTML

+More

From: "John Criswick" <criswick at spiceisle.com> on 2016.07.01 at 21:31:36(23652)
Thanks Marek. Allowing for changes in pronunciation over time and place, “siggin” is still remarkably similar to “seggin”. (I write these as an Anglophone would pronounce them.)

John.

From: aroid-l-bounces@www.gizmoworks.com [mailto:aroid-l-bounces@www.gizmoworks.com] On Behalf Of Marek Argent

HTML

+More

From: Jason Hernandez <jason.hernandez74 at yahoo.com> on 2016.07.03 at 02:23:13(23654)
But then the question is, why would it be called by a word that means "to begin"?

As I think I may have suggested last time we had this conversation, I wonder if the Arawak name for this plant was something that sounded similar, and early colonists adopted the name without changing it? We have other examples of plant names where this has occurred, such as sarsaparilla and sassafras in North America.

So, in conclusion, it appears no one can answer my original question.

Jason Hernandez

HTML

+More

From: "John Criswick" <criswick at spiceisle.com> on 2016.07.07 at 23:03:19(23655)
In which language does seguin or seguine mean “to begin”?

John.

From: aroid-l-bounces@www.gizmoworks.com [mailto:aroid-l-bounces@www.gizmoworks.com] On Behalf Of Jason Hernandez

HTML

+More

From: "Marek Argent" <abri1973 at wp.pl> on 2016.07.08 at 22:19:49(23657)

Nobody said it means "to begin". I said that the pronounciation of "seguine" may be similar to English "begin".

Marek

HTML

+More

From: Sherry Gates <thetropix at msn.com> on 2016.07.08 at 20:01:06(23658)
Hi All,

Just for the heck of it I wanted to mention this regarding Sassafrass & Sarsaparilla.

"We have other examples of plant names where this has occurred, such as sarsaparilla and sassafras in North America."

I may not have fully understood if it was being suggested they might be the same thing/plant/drink. They're not the same plant. One is a tree and one is a large vine (Smilax) with large thorns that'll take the hide off a hog. Smilax roots will grow
as big as a man's arm (or leg!). I've also heard that the Native Americans used to make smoking pipes out of them, too... but I don't know if they did or not.

Have a great weekend, everyone! sherry

From: aroid-l-bounces@www.gizmoworks.com on behalf of John Criswick

Sent: Thursday, July 7, 2016 6:03 PM

To: 'Discussion of aroids'

Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Dieffenbachia seguine

In which language does seguin or seguine mean “to begin”?

John.

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.