IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Looking for recommendations of places to visit in
From: "John Criswick" <criswick at spiceisle.com> on 2017.01.04 at 04:00:34(23728)
You might do well to drop in on TPIE for a day. They are usually around January 20th and there are a number of breeders and brokers who are marketing aglaonema hybrids. Their show is in Fort Lauderdale.

From: aroid-l-bounces@www.gizmoworks.com [mailto:aroid-l-bounces@www.gizmoworks.com] On Behalf Of rozgold@pacbell.net
Sent: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 12:15 PM
To: Discussion of Aroids
Subject: [Aroid-l] Looking for recommendations of places to visit in Miami with good selection of aroids

Friends:

I'm going to be in Miami for just a few days the third week in January. I'm definitely going to spend time at the Fairchild Tropical Garden, but I was wondering whether folks had recommendations of other places I should visit to see aroids. I'm from California, and I particularly like aglaonema hybrids. Are there any nurseries or other places that have a good selection available for purchase? There's just a few hybrids that we ever see out in California, and Florida growers seem to have a fair greater variety. I'm also interested in just visiting places with interesting gardens.

Thanks in advance!

-Roz, in Los Angeles

HTML

+More

From: Tom Croat <Thomas.Croat at mobot.org> on 2017.01.04 at 00:16:18(23729)
Dear Roz:

The best holdings of Aglaonema is the Frank Brown collection. I don’t know if he is still around or not but contact Bill Rotolante, Reggie Whitehead, Ron Weeks or Enid Offelter
to see if they know. Frank Brown collected Aglaonema in Thailand and hybridized many.

Tom

HTML

+More

From: Riley2362 at aol.com on 2017.01.05 at 18:06:50(23730)
Hi Roz,

I didn't realize that you liked aroids so much - very cool! Too bad you will probably miss the Tamiami Orchid Show where my friends at Ecuagenera will be selling aroids as well as orchids and many other interesting plants, but that is the 13th of January this year.

Miami always has the best to offer in aroids at any time of the year from Enid Ofleter: http://www.NSEtropicals.com

and Steve and Marie Nock at Ree Gardens: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/39231-ree-gardens-uncovering-the-legend/

Happy New Year and Happy Hunting - Michael

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.