IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Request for ID (Philodendron?)
From: Siddharth Naveenachandran <n.c.siddharth at gmail.com> on 2019.03.02 at 06:11:10(24140)
(File Type Not Recognized: attachments/190302102356-2.png)

Hi All,

First post here but been using this forum archives for reading up on a lot of aroids for a while now. :)

I received photos of this Philodendron (?) from Ecuador and wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on ID. The closely spaced lateral veins seems reminiscent of P.planadense or P.narinoense but it's clearly not those. Appreciate your help.

Thanks

Sid

HTML

+More

From: Tom Croat <Thomas.Croat at mobot.org> on 2019.03.02 at 19:19:11(24141)
(File Type Not Recognized: attachments/190302120203-2.png)

Dear Sid:

Do you have any idea which part of Ecuador this came from? It resembles plants we treated in our Philodendron of the Lita-San Lorenzo Region so we will try to key it out in that treatment.

Best,

Tom Croat

HTML

+More

From: Siddharth NC <n.c.siddharth at gmail.com> on 2019.03.04 at 00:08:04(24142)
Thank you, Tom! I have reached out to find that information.

--_700E899A-E294-40A1-A645-E82FEFAFEC64_--
--==============‚90869743952649348==

HTML

+More

From: Tom Croat <Thomas.Croat at mobot.org> on 2019.03.04 at 05:50:08(24144)
Dear Siddharth:

Where are you located? Ivan Porilla said that the plant came from the Lita to San Lorenzo Region and I know now that it is a new species. Have you flowered
the plant. I hope that you can since we need to have inflorescences to describe it. We could describe it together if you could prepare herbarium material. I hope to hear from you soon.

Very best,

tom

HTML

+More

From: Siddharth NC <n.c.siddharth at gmail.com> on 2019.03.04 at 05:52:15(24145)
Hi Tom,

Yes, I have confirmed with the person who collected this plant it was from the region you specified.

Thanks
Sid

+More
From: Siddharth NC <n.c.siddharth at gmail.com> on 2019.03.05 at 01:08:45(24146)
Hi Tom,

Iā€™m in Texas and will get a cutting of this plant from Ivan by end of this month. I hope he gets to flower it and I will certainly try it too. Quite exciting to see such a remarkable new species! I have no background in botany and have never prepared herbarium material before but I sure am enthusiastic to try! šŸ˜Š Let me know how I can help.

Ivan did request if it can be named Philodendron ivanportillae which I felt you needed to know. Lol! šŸ˜Š

Thanks

Sid

HTML

+More

From: Tom Croat <Thomas.Croat at mobot.org> on 2019.03.05 at 01:39:52(24147)
Dear Sid:

I am perfectly happy with naming the species after Ivan. He is an old friend and supporter. I am trying to help them in their business because I believe it is good for science, good for horticulture, conservation and the Ecuadorian economy. From my standpoint
I need locality information which is usually lacking and by helping them I am freeing up those important details.

I hope that you can manage to get this plant and that you have somewhere to grow it successfully to get it to flower. Please document its growth so that we
have all the details for a description. Perhaps I will be able to get them to divulge a bit more specific details so that we can be more precise about the type locality. What city in Texas do you live in?

All the best,

Tom

HTML

+More

From: Siddharth NC <n.c.siddharth at gmail.com> on 2019.03.05 at 03:45:20(24148)
Hi Tom,

I'm in Plano, TX, about 25 miles north of Dallas. I've managed to grow a bunch in the conditions I can provide it here while battling with the winter. I dream about moving to Florida and will make it happen someday. ????

Yes, I will keep detailed photos and records of it's growth and keep this thread updated with progress.

Ecuagenera is definitely a wonderful resource giving us hobbyists access to plants that we would've otherwise not even known existed. I'm sure Ivan will be thrilled to see this plant named after him. ????

Thanks
Sid

+More
From: Siddharth NC <n.c.siddharth at gmail.com> on 2019.03.05 at 04:17:36(24149)
Tom - May I request your assistance with one more plant that I posted in a thread right below this one? The one that looks like P.fibraecataphyllum. That has baffled all of us.

Thanks
Sid

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.