IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Monstera deliciosa FRUIT
From: James Waddick <jwaddick at kc.rr.com> on 2020.01.08 at 16:24:47(24297)
Dear Friends,
This may be semi -off topic. I’ve grown a variety of aroids for years including the M. deliciosa above. Mostly they outgrow my small GH and other spaces so I rarely get flowering dn fruit production. I have heard that M. delisiosa fruit (as the name suggests) is really delicious, but I have yet to try one.

HTML

+More

From: Jason Hernandez <jason.hernandez74 at yahoo.com> on 2020.01.08 at 22:35:06(24298)
I have only found this fruit once, I don't recall where, but it came with instructions. The instructions said to place it, stem up, in an open container, and wait for the green segments to fall off -- they are full of irritating raphides. The fruit underneath can then be eaten, and I can vouch that it is indeed delicious.

Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2020 10:24:47 -0600
Subject: [Aroid-l] Monstera deliciosa FRUIT
To: Discussion of aroids
Message-ID:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

Dear Friends,
This may be semi -off topic. I?ve grown a variety of aroids for years including the M. deliciosa above. Mostly they outgrow my small GH and other spaces so I rarely get flowering dn fruit production. I have heard that M. delisiosa fruit (as the name suggests) is really delicious, but I have yet to try one.

Anyone have any suggestions of how and where to get one just to try it? Do they ever show up in Mexican or Hispanic super marts? Does anyone sell them or anyone have too many and willing to share one for a taste some time? Glad to repay postage costs if any one is willing.

Appreciate my foodie craving resolution. Jim W.

Dr. James Waddick
8871 NW Brostrom Rd
Kansas City, MO 64152-2711
USA
Phone 816-746-1949

HTML

+More

From: Don Martinson <llmen at wi.rr.com> on 2020.01.08 at 23:44:37(24299)
I only found one once, when I was in graduate school, in the Marquette University greenhouse, and it was much as Jason described. To me, it had the consistency and a taste much like a banana with a hint of pineapple.

On Jan 8, 2020, at 4:35 PM, Jason Hernandez wrote:
HTML

+More

From: James Liu <jamestsliu at gmail.com> on 2020.01.09 at 04:40:13(24300)
Hey Jim,

Saw a few boxes of them at a farmers market in Coconut Grove, Miami. Not sure if they're in season now, this was back in September during the IAS show.

Good reason to go to the this years upcoming meeting ^^

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.