IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re-visiting "shade house" plans,
From: Rosalind Gold <rozgold at pacbell.net> on 2020.06.22 at 01:55:07(24352)
Friends -

A while back several of you gave me great advice about the best kind of shade cloth to use to create a shade house for my aroids and gesneriads on a concrete deck outside of my Los Angeles apartment.

I put this project aside in the hopes of finding a "turnkey" solution from green house vendors, but all of the shade houses or canopies are just way too large for the area that's available on my deck. I saw an interesting approach of attaching shade cloth to a DIY PVC piping structure that would allow me to customize the dimensions to my growing area. My one challenge is that because I don't own the deck, I can't drill into the concrete, and I'm trying to figure out how to stabilize the structure.

It's really not too windy where I am in Los Angeles, so I'm not worried about a structure that the Big Bad Wolf couldn't blow down. Optimally, I'd love this to be easily portable, and I've seen fittings for PVC piping that allow you to attach wheels to the ends - but I'm wondering whether the piping structure would study enough to go rolling all over the place. I could also create a wood base, and use fittings that allow me to essentially screw the piping into the base.

Overall, the shade house would be about 6 feet high, 5 feet wide and 30 inches deep. I'd welcome suggestions on how to make a shade house that is sturdy but not too unwieldy.

As always, thanks in advance!

-Rosalind, in Los Angeles

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.