IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

  A. bulbifer question
From: "newton" newton at coiinc.com> on 2000.08.31 at 18:29:13(5320)
Dear fellow aroiders:

It has been HOT in the upper Midwest this past week. Not the 120 southwest
hot but the 95 with 98% humidity hot. Just thinking about it makes me sweat.

Anyway, in one of my daring trips outside to save the lives, just in the
nick of time, of my various greens, I noticed that my 2" dia. A. bulbifer is
sending up a small shoot from the base of the leaf. While I find that
nothing new in the way of aroid behavior surprises me anymore, I had not yet
seen this event from this plant.

Q: How common is this behavior? Plenty of pot space, mild fertilizer and
full sun. I do see where Aroideana states leaf can be in pairs. Does it NEED
this new leaf? Will I develop a larger bulb if I prune the new growth? Will
the Cubs ever do any better?

Tim

From: Carol Ann Bonner cadastra at mindspring.com> on 2000.09.01 at 08:16:04(5322)
At 08:29 PM 8/31/00 -0500, Tim wrote:
> I noticed that my 2" dia. A. bulbifer is
>sending up a small shoot from the base of the leaf. While I find that
>nothing new in the way of aroid behavior surprises me anymore, I had not yet
>seen this event from this plant.
>
>Q: How common is this behavior?

I don't know.

+More
From: Al Wootten awootten at NRAO.EDU> on 2000.09.01 at 12:11:02(5325)
Carol Ann Bonner writes:
> Actually, I also have an A. bulbifer question. I am not exactly what one
> would call an "aroidiphile", but I have a few aroids, A. bulbifer among
> them. This is my first season with this plant, and, true to its name, it
> made a little bulbil at the center of its leaf. Do I plant this thing? If
> so, do I carve away all of the attached leaf? When do I know when to stop
> carving? If it's too young this year, will the bulbil next year be viable?
With mine, as the plant begins to die down, I just snap it off and plant it.

My young bulbifers, bulbils year before last, have just died back. They
have not produced bulbils themselves. My older bigger bulbifers are just
now emerging. If I extrapolate backward in time, I figure that they must
have begun emerging from their corms at just about the time Wilbert so
agreeably ordered them to arise.

Still no sign of konjac, though...

Clear skies,
Al

+More
From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo at email.msn.com> on 2000.09.02 at 18:46:12(5329)
>Will I develop a larger bulb if I prune the new growth?

No. Laeves produce energy that assists the tuber formation, leave it alone!

>Actually, I also have an A. bulbifer question. I am not exactly what one
would call an "aroidiphile", but I have a few aroids, A. bulbifer among
them. This is my first season with this plant, and, true to its name, it
made a little bulbil at the center of its leaf. Do I plant this thing? If
so, do I carve away all of the attached leaf? When do I know when to stop
carving? If it's too young this year, will the bulbil next year be viable?<

Leave the bulbil alone till the leaf withers, and then plant it with the
'bottom' side up, in otherwords with the attachment point which is concave
UP. When the plant is large/mature enough, it will produce larger bulbils,
and more, some at the juncture of the various leaf segments.

>Is there an archive of this list?<

Yes, but someone else needs to tell you how to acess them!

>Thanks in advance,
Carol Ann

+More
From: Durightmm at aol.com on 2000.09.02 at 19:22:36(5332)
A.bulbifer is one of several amorphs to use this strategy to multiply. The
wall cells weaken and collapse the petolie setting the bulbils away from the
"mother" plant as a way of propigation. It is called motility. You can
collect the , sometimes numerous, bulbils, store them and plant them next
year if you wish. Note that often the one at the center of the leaf is
misshappen. If you plant them all in time you will have a forest. Good
growing Joe

From: SelbyHort at aol.com on 2000.09.04 at 19:10:58(5338)
Carol Ann,

The aroid-l newslist is archived on the International Aroid Society's (IAS)
web page at: www.aroid.org

Here on main page you will see a link to aroid-l, go there and scroll down
the information on this page and you will find a link to the archives near
the bottom. This is a very good resource and I believe contains all the
archived messages since 1996. You can search the archives in several ways to
retrieve topics or threads of interest.

You may also find many topics by searching the IAS web site. There is an
ever-increasing array of information posted on the site.

Hope this helps,

Donna Atwood

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.