IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: GA3 in seed germination
From: mburack at mindspring.com on 2001.05.30 at 01:59:22(6599)
Let me beat the horse one more time,

If it cant be done, what do I do.....? Put a little in water, add some vodka or KOA and mix it up?

Doesnt the introduction of these other chemicals alter the effects of the GA itself?

I hate to keep asking these questions, but I have the stuff, and I just want to give it a go. I would be willing to mix it with anything if it will work.

As a matter of fact, you guys are talking about mixing 1 gm / liter, and I was under the impression (based on something that I read) that the easiest way to go was to dip a toothpick about an 1/8 of an inch into the powder, dissolve (assuming that it could be done) into a cup of water and soaking the seeds in it for 24 hours.... Does this sound right? I figure if I am going to do it, I would like to do it right.

Also Niles, there has been the talk about the pH, if I were to go the "KOA" route, how would I "right" the pH? Or is alcohol the easier way? Somebody just has to tell me what to do :)

+More
From: "Nyles" metopium at hotmail.com> on 2001.05.30 at 13:32:43(6606)
Hi!

I've used KOH and GA together without adjusting the Ph on new shoot and
flower growth with no problems.
Once you have the Potassium salt (KOH+GA), it is more potent than "plain" GA
(according to literature) and freely soluble in water.
That's how I'd personally go based on past experience.

Having said that, I am not saying the other method wouldn't work or that
this method will get you the outcome you desire.
I've just had big problems with ethanol (however small)+water and GA killing
tissue cultures.

If in doubt use both. I'd be curious how it turns out, either way.

Hope I've helped more than confused!

Nyles

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.