IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Kauai
From: "hanson, skip" <shanson at emc.com> on 2004.09.30 at 17:11:23(12229)
Title: Message

All,
Hello. I am
going to be in Kauai at the end of October. Is there any nursery or garden
I
should not
miss ?

Thanks,
Skip

+More
From: Rosalind Gold <rozgold at pacbell.net> on 2004.09.30 at 22:04:58(12231)
Skip:

First, just to let you know I'm extremely jealous - I've been to Kauai twice, but would love to go back many times.

You should look into the three different sites of the National Tropical Botanical Garden in Kauai. One is a garden with a fair amount of landscaping and some formal elements - the Allerton Garden - I really enjoyed my visit there.

There is also the McBryde Garden, which I understand is more of a research facility, and the Limahuli Garden, which is a large preserve. When I visited Kauai several years ago, I had trouble getting information about how to actually tour McBryde and Limahuli, but the NTBG's website seems to suggest that you now make reservation online:

http://ntbg.org/location.html

+More
From: MossyTrail at cs.com on 2004.10.02 at 08:15:15(12233)
"hanson, skip" wrote:

>All,
> Hello. I am going to be in Kauai at the end of October. Is there any
>nursery or garden I
> should not miss ?
>
Well, this isn't a nursery or garden, but Hanalei National Wildlife Refuge is the most important taro-growing region in Hawaii. Taro fields extending off to the horizon may not be everyone's cup of tea, but you've got to admit, that's a lot of aroids! The road gets steep after Princeville, but in good weather it shouldn't be a problem; there is a parking area at the bottom of the hill, by a bridge. Stay on the road; to go into the fields is considered trespassing, and is ticketable.

Jason Hernandez

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.