IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Synandrospadix fruits
From: LMassey628 at aol.com on 2004.10.22 at 23:04:12(12301)
Hello

My Synandrospadix seems to have made 13 plump yellow fruits. I have not squashed any to see if they contain seeds. Does anyone have any suggestions about how I should treat them ?

I think this is a wonderful plant for a prominent spot in a garden. It has very elegant and eye-catching glossy, wavy leaves that beg to be noticed. I had an article about this plant accompanied by three photos in our local paper in September.

Linda

+More
From: Aroideae at aol.com on 2004.10.23 at 18:09:46(12302)
hi linda,

yes, this is a marvelous plant and seems to make viable seeds readily. i've had good and bad luck germinating the things.......they can take a VERY long time and even longer to take hold and grow out of the seedling stage. i plant in a well-drained mix, ca. 1/2 peat to 1/2 perlite, with the seeds about 1 cm below the soil surface. water the medium heavily before planting the seeds, then poke them in a bit and pull the soil over them. cover with plastic or place the pot in a tie-off plastic bag and keep warm, (70--80 deg minimum) out of direct sunlight. some of mine have taken 1 1/2 yrs to germinate!! i don't know where you live, but the species can't take a lot of cold and never freezing temps, although it could possibly survive it if dormant and completely dry.

lynn

+More
From: "danny wilson" <mudwasp_ at hotmail.com> on 2004.10.24 at 06:36:28(12304)
It really is a gorgeous plant, too bad its so hard to get
>From: LMassey628@aol.com
>Reply-To: Discussion of aroids
+More
From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo at msn.com> on 2004.10.24 at 14:15:32(12305)
>From: LMassey628@aol.com
>To: aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
>Subject: [Aroid-l] Synandrospadix fruits
>Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 19:04:12 EDT
>

Hello Linda,
Congrats of your fruiting Synandrospadix! This S. American native certainly is a lovely plant! My friend Bobby used to have one of the largest speciens of this plant that I had ever heard of, but it became infected w/ nematodes and quickly declined. His used to bear MANY blooms during the summer months here in S. Florida, and as a consequence it also produced MANY fruits! I do NOT recomend anyone doing what I am about to say I did, but the fruits were so big and juicy, I tasted one and found it to be quite sweet and flavorful. I have reported this 'experiment' on this list some time ago. We cleaned the skin and flesh off the large seeds by washing and the use of a toothbrush, and planted the seeds just 1/2 covered with moist soil, and covered the pot w/ plastic wrap with many small holes/slits poked in it. The pot was kept moist in a warm, well-lit area with NO direc
t sun, and most germinated over a period of about a year, some more quickly than others. I hope that this info. helps. Please keep us informed.
Sincerely,
Julius

+More
From: <denisrotolante at bellsouth.net> on 2004.10.25 at 13:26:54(12308)
We just harvested and planted all our
Synandrospadix vermitoxicus seeds in September. The Mother plant started to go
dormant right before the Aroid show and we took off the orangey green to yellow
fruits before the plant totally fell apart. Our Original plants came from Julius Boos several
years ago, probably seedlings from the plant whose fruit he tasted. We sowed
ours on the surface of a Peat & Perlite soil mix in our shade house with
our Anthurium Seedlings. We did not cover them, just depressed them into
surface of soil so that they sat in a dimple. They will receive regular waterings along with all the rest of the germinated seedlings
and liner plants on the bench, and normal day & night light conditions.
Hopefully they will germinate and grow. Happy planting & Good Luck.

Denis

+More
From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo at msn.com> on 2004.10.28 at 09:26:39(12320)
>From:
>To: "'Discussion of aroids'"
>Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Synandrospadix fruits
>Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 09:26:54 -0400
>

Dear Denis,
I am glad to hear that you have seedlings of adult size from that set of seed, as Bobby`s 'mother' plant was the largest of that species that I have seen or heard of, this was before it sucumbed to a nematode attack. It bore multiple blooms and many infructesences at one time. I look forward to seeing one of its offspring from you at a future Miami IAS show!
Good Growing,
Julius

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.