IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Anthurium faustomirandae
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2007.09.23 at 12:13:25(16321)
Again, I need some help from any and all of you aroid collectors out there! I need a good photo of a fully adult Anthurium faustomirandae to illustrate the article in the link below. I'll gladly give you credit in the piece for your help. I also need input as to just how large you may have been able to get this species to grow in your collection. The literature I've found indicates typical size is around 2 feet (60cm) but Julius has seen blades up to 4 feet (1.2 meters).

The reason for the confusion is this plant is commonly sold as the "world's largest" Anthurium. That is highly suspect since Anthurium regale can produce a 6 foot (1.8 meter) leaf in the wild and I just saw Anthurium cubense in Miami with an 8 foot leaf (2.4 meter). Even if you limit it to cordate leaf specimens Anthurium regale would still be the largest.

And by the way, since I suspect some will wish to point out my spelling is incorrect, I have verified the spelling on both TROPICOS and IPNI. Many websites have this plant up under a large number of misspelled names. The spelling I use is the one Dr. Croat published the plant under which he verified on Aroid l as correct several years ago.

You can send the photos directly to me or to Aroid l and I'll grab them. Please just be sure and indicate it is OK for me to reproduce the photo on the internet. Really do appreciate the input!

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Anthurium%20faustomirandae%20pc.html

Thanks!

Steve Lucas

+More
From: abri1973 at wp.pl (Marek Argent) on 2007.09.23 at 15:29:40(16323)
Is not the name - A. faustinomirandae?

Marek

+More
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2007.09.24 at 06:43:08(16325)
The correct name is just as I've posted it on the site. You can check it on TROPICOS or IPNI. Many sites have it by different spellings but Dr. Croat published it with the spelling I used. I gave one of his quotes in the article explaining why it is "fausto" rather than "faustino".

Steve Lucas

+More
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2007.09.24 at 07:07:45(16327)
Just wanted to thank everyone for all the help and input on Anthurium faustomirandae. I received, almost instantly, several great adult specimen photos plus quite a bit more information, especially on the size of the species.

For those who have sent personal notes suggesting I have the spelling incorrect, there are many sources on the internet that have used other spellings than the one Dr. Croat originally used when he published A. faustomirandae. There is a quote in the article from Dr. Croat explaining why the correct name is "fausto" instead of "faustino". You can check either of the major plant name sources to verify the correct spelling is "faustomirandae".

If you missed it, or didn't read the final version, thanks to Ron, Julius, Windy, LariAnn and others I think we've got just about all the good info on the species now posted:
http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Anthurium%20faustomirandae%20pc.html

But if I missed something important, please send it on! Thanks again for the assist!

Steve Lucas

+More
From: denis at skg.com (Denis Rotolante) on 2007.09.24 at 14:30:05(16328)
Steve:

Picture of A. faustomirandae from Windy taken at Silver Krome Gardens
is actually a picture of one of Bill's faustino hybrids.... Anth.
(faustomirandae x clarinervium). it has also been successfully
hybridized with Anth. podophyllum. Dr. Croat says Central american
anthuriums will often hybridize with other Central american species
which are not in their group.

Denis

+More
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2007.09.24 at 15:46:12(16330)
MessageThanks Denis. I'll add a note with an explanation.

Steve Lucas

+More
From: exotics at hawaii.rr.com (Windy Aubrey) on 2007.09.24 at 18:50:40(16332)
MessageDenis,

Thanks for that info. It explains why it did look different.
Also I appreciate the hybridizing facts regarding Central American Anthuriums.
Bill was a great host taking time from his work to show me and allow me to photograph the fabulous collection of specimen Anthuriums that live and flourish at Silver Krome.
Thank you both for your hospitality,

Windy

+More
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2007.09.25 at 17:37:24(16336)
MessageDitto Windy!! Both Denis and Bill are great to all aroiders. Denis also took time out of his morning to help me get around. I really did appreciate the tour and the education.

Steve Lucas

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.