IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Rhaphidophora tetrasperma Hook.f
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2008.03.27 at 15:08:40(17239)

I am trying to locate any information for the species Rhaphidophora tetrasperma Hook.f. Similar in appearance to a minature Monstera deliciosa, the plant is found only in southern Thailand and portions of Malaysia. If you grow the plant and know anything about it I would appreciate the input. Almost nothing can be found in scientific journals on the species. I understand Pete Boyce has experience with this species so Pete, if you're lurking, please tell me what you know! And to all you Aroideana experts, I've checked all 28 of the 29 years I have and can't find it! If there is something I've missed, please point it out.

Here's what I've found so far which is very little:

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Rhaphidophora%20tetraspema%20pc.html

Steve Lucas

+More
From: abri1973 at wp.pl (Marek Argent) on 2008.03.27 at 15:49:02(17240)
Steve,

The leaf on your photo seem to grow not from the petiole sheath like in Monstera, but from a leaf scar like in Philodendron. Btw aren't the leaves more stiff than in Monstera deliciosa?

Marek

+More
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2008.03.27 at 16:50:14(17241)
Miracles do happen quickly within this group of aroid experts! Within minutes of my request being posted this morning Lucinda Lay of the Royal Botanic Garden Kew in London forwarded a copy of the scientific material for Rhaphidophora tetrasperma Hook.f. And Steve Marak posted my request within minutes of the moment I sent it in.

I had been trying for over a week to find anything and suddenly I had what I needed. But I would gladly love to hear more from any of you who are growing this species. The link is updated but likely has technical errors. If you spot one, please point it out!

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Rhaphidophora%20tetraspema%20pc.html

Thanks! And thanks Lucinda!

Steve Lucas

+More
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2008.03.27 at 19:55:11(17245)
The plant matches very varorably to the scientific description which was forwarded to me this morning by Lucinda Lay at the Kew. The leaves are very lightly coriacious and have the grove down the petiole as described by Hooker. Since Rhaphidophora is related to both Philodendron and Monstera your comments would appear appropriate. I'm attaching the actual scientific description so any others who may have the plant may also save it fo their files. I have a message out to Pete Boyce in hopes he'll review the page and make comments.

Steve Lucas

+More
From: gartenbaureisenberger at web.de (Helmut Reisenberger) on 2008.03.28 at 00:02:44(17249)
Hi Steve, Hi all!

I am now growing raphidophoro tetrasperma for a couple of years. My first sample I gathered - as cuttings - from the Federal Gardens in Vienna / Austria; and it was not difficult to multiply it. The experts, overlooking a very wide range of ancient collections going back to 19th century, had simply named it "Philodendron mima". My next experience was, to find that item as seedlings from my favorit (commercial) seedlings supplier in Florida, who still trades it under the "trivial" name Epipremnum "Ginny". I have bought a sample and now I am multiplying this extremly strong grower vegetatively. I offer it on ebay under the trivial name and it became very popular as a terrarium plant (strong and resistatnt to physical stress). I am ashamed, not using the right taxon, but "Ginny" became so popular, that I still have not changed it, nevertheless I have learned meanwhile it to be Raphidophora tetrasperma. At least I have mentioned the correct name in the products description on ebay.
A similar problem I do have with Raphidophora decursiva, since we have a very old and well developed specimen in the HBV (Vienna Botanical Garden), where I gather cuttings (in the treetops in a height of seven or more meters) once each year. Over the years I had defined it as Epipremnum pinnatum, as I had known it from habitat in NE Australia. With the help of Peter Boyce I have learned the detailled difference, to the actual definition. It is Raphidphora decursiva. This also is very rare in Europe and I am one of the few, offering cuttings of this species commercially.
There are many more unidentified species in my collection, where I find it extremely hard to distinguish Monstera, Amydrium, Raphidophora, Epipremnum, Pothos ect., esp. when they come from old collections of historical rarities of uncertain provenience.
I appreciate your function, Steve, as an initiator for professional discussions. Believe me that is very helpful and invaluable for aroiders.

Helmut

+More
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2008.03.28 at 01:35:22(17251)
Helmet, I appreciate your compliment. But even more, I appreciate your input! I am simply curious and often drive Dr. Croat, Julius Boos, Leland Miyano and quite a few others crazy with questions! May I have your permission to edit part of this and use it on the page? It helps to clarify several points I would like to make.

And since you are the first person I know who is familiar with this genus, do you know anything about Rhaphidophora graeffei from Samoa and a species from Guam which I had been lead to believe was being named Rhaphidophora guamensis? The later does not appear to be published. I've been looking for any information on either in an attempt to help another collector.

Thanks again for the excellent input!

Steve Lucas

+More
From: RAYMOMATTLA at cs.com (RAYMOMATTLA at cs.com) on 2008.03.28 at 02:27:17(17252)
I know there was some debate a while back on whether the plant labeled
"Amydrium, Philodendron, etc. etc. Ginny" was either a form of the variable
Epipremnum pinnatum or Rhaphidophora tetrasperma. The experts finally agreed with the
later.

+More
From: jpcferry2 at wanadoo.fr (Famille FERRY) on 2008.03.28 at 16:57:38(17254)
Bonjour ,

A few years ago, I went to Munich with David Scherberich. We were greeted by
Josef Bogner. I noticed a plant extraordinary : a small miniature Monstera.
Josef Bogner gave a cutting.
I remember that Josef Bogner said, it is a dwarf form of Monstera deliciosa!
In fact, I learned later that it was Raphidophora tetrasperma. This is a
plant that deserves a place in our apartments.

Genevi?ve

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.