IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Mystery Plant
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2008.04.01 at 19:09:18(17269)
Like most of you, I have quite a few plants in my atrium I have no idea what they might be. I'm working today to try to identify a few.

The plant on the page at the link below is one of my "mystery" plants. Although it appears to be an Anthurium, look closely at the leaf blade and the petiole. There is no collective vein on the leaf and no geniculum on the petiole. That elimates an Anthurium species. The leaf is very thick and coriacious but I have no idea what the species or genus may be. The leaf measures 25.4cm (10 inches).

I often have people send me specimens in hopes I can figure out what they may be and I believe this one came last summer. I put it on a shelf and never paid much attention to it until today so I don't even know who to tell what it is since the tag is lost! If you have an ID, please let me know.

Steve Lucas

+More
From: lbmkjm at yahoo.com (brian lee) on 2008.04.01 at 19:55:13(17275)
Dear Steve,

Aloha. This is definitely an Anthurium...but I could
not tell you off hand what species this is. I have
something similar but I'll have to walk to the
greenhouse to check if I have a name. I can clearly
see a geniculum in your photo...sometimes it is
subtle. Also, this may be an immature plant so all
the characters are not well developed.

Aloha,

Leland

+More
From: abri1973 at wp.pl (Marek Argent) on 2008.04.01 at 20:03:22(17277)
Steve,

Anthurium podophyllum has pedatisect leaves like for example Typonium venosum
This plant on your photo looks like a common A. andreanum.

Marek

+More
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2008.04.01 at 21:10:44(17279)

Leland, although I can't see a geniculum if I run my fingers up the petioles I can feel a very faint bump about an inch from the top. I am assuming that is what you are seeing. As for the collective vein, I can see one beginning from one lateral vein from the sinus that circumvents the lower portion of the blade but not the entire blade. I was looking for a collective vein that totally circles the blade. If you found the tag, I'd really like to know!

Thanks, as always!

Steve Lucas

+More
From: lbmkjm at yahoo.com (brian lee) on 2008.04.01 at 21:13:53(17280)
Dear Steve,

Aloha. I just took a quick look in the greenhouse and
I found a plant similar to yours. However, it is
difficult to make a positive identification based on
sterile non-blooming material.

+More
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2008.04.01 at 21:21:44(17281)
Thanks again Leland. I'll check TROPICOS. Although not posted yet, I had just asked if the collective vein necessarily had to circle the leaf, your explanation solves that! I always appreciate the input and your personal assistance.

Steve

+More
From: lbmkjm at yahoo.com (brian lee) on 2008.04.02 at 02:53:12(17286)
Dear Steve,

Aloha.

I looked at your additional photos...I only saw the
first one earlier. I can add that the lower surface
appears to be glandular-punctate and , if it is
Anthurium longipeltatum, it would belong the Section,
Cordatopunctatum ( sect. nov.) My plant is growing in
strong light and the geniculum becomes more obvious,
although it is still not strongly pronounced...and it
does start where you indicate on your plant's petiole.
The geniculum on my plant also has faint tints of
red...which could be a result of the higher light
levels. It is highly glandular-punctate on the lower
blade surface. The coriaceous texture is also a
feature our plants share. The brown persistent
cataphylls are also present in both. My plant has
bloomed and the inflorescence was erectly held.

Aloha,

Leland

+More
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2008.04.02 at 03:10:41(17288)
Not sure where the Anthurium podophyllum came from. I have a page on that species here:

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Anthurium%20podophyllum%20pc.html

I'll check into your observations but Leland's suggestion it is Anthurium longipeltatum appears to fit.

Steve Lucas

+More
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2008.04.02 at 03:29:44(17289)
Leland, your observations are always so insightful and accurate! I too had noticed the punctates this morning when examine the plant with a magnifying glass. Since I didn't have any idea what species to be checking against that was only additional information at the time. But this afternoon I got a copy of Dr. Croat's treatment of Anthurium longipeltatum Matuda and it is on my reading list for tomorrow morning.

It strongly appears you have figured out the species of this plant. I am hopeful the Anthurium (which I had thought was not an Anthurium) will produce an inflorescence later in the year and I'll be able to verify your observations more fully. This one caused me to learn some very new premises regarding Anthurium species. First, the collective vein does not have to completely traverse the leaf, and second, the geniculum can be barely noticeable and still be present.

Just for the record, I want to let everyone know how thankful I am to have guys like you and Julius around! Dr. Croat helps me all the time but he's out of the office this week so you guys are very valuable to me, and to this forum in general!

Thanks for your help and I'll be reading Dr. Croat's entire treatment tomorrow in an effort to compare more features on the plant.

Thanks again to everyone who responded!

Steve Lucas

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.