IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

An off topic question!
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2008.04.27 at 19:30:18(17471)
This is not an aroid question but I am reasonably certain some on this forum will be able to put me in touch with the individual I am seeking.

I do not claim to be an expert in any genera. Aroids are my obvious favorite and as you all know I ask questions all the time in order to make sure the information I post on my site is reasonably accurate according to presently accepted botanical science. I have one page on my site on an Epiphyllum species and have offered what knowledge I am aware of in response to some questions posed on the UBC plant forum. UBC is sponsored by the University of British Colombia Botanical Garden.

There is one individual on that site who keeps insisting Epiphyllum species are not a rain forest plant. Virtually everything I've been able to find and read indicates they are just that and are found from Southern Mexico, all of Central America, and in South America through Venezuela, the Guiana Shield, and all down the western side of the continent through Bolivia as well as in Brazil. I just can't figure out how an epiphytic plant that populates that region of the world could not be a rain forest species!

This individual recently insisted his information comes from botanist Myron Kimnach who is a known expert in cacti and Epiphyllum species are cacti. I would very much like to consult with Mr. Kimnach to make sure my information is accurate. If any of you know how to contact him, please pass along that information. I found some info that he has had some association with the Huntington but do not know if he is a part of their staff. Both Leland and I have been corresponding with Joseph Dougherty who is quite knowledgeable about Epiphyllum species and Joe assures me my information is accurate.

Any assistance would certainly be appreciate. And if you are interested in reading what has been posted on UBC you can find it in this link:

http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/forums/showthread.php?t2331&page=2

You'll find the quotes from a poster who calls himself Cereusly Steve about half way down the page and to the end.

If you would prefer to keep your posts off Aroid l please contact me at Steve at ExoticRainforest.com

Thanks!

Steve Lucas

+More
From: hermine at endangeredspecies.com (=?iso-8859-1?Q?hermine=A9?=) on 2008.04.27 at 22:39:57(17476)
>
>
>This individual recently insisted his information comes from
>botanist Myron Kimnach who is a known expert in cacti and Epiphyllum
>species are cacti. I would very much like to consult with Mr.
>Kimnach to make sure my information is accurate. If any of you know
>how to contact him, please pass along that information.

I will give Myron a toot and see what comes out of the Horse's Mouth for you.

hermine

+More
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2008.04.28 at 06:48:40(17482)
Thanks! I received his email address shortly after the post but would appreciate any assist. I sent him my question but your help would be appreciated.

Steve Lucas

+More
From: ecuador10 at comcast.net (Betsy Feuerstein) on 2008.04.28 at 16:11:09(17488)
Steve, You have to know Hermine. If there ever was and is a character, it is Hermine. That coming from a character herself.......

Good luck with your query. I will be interested also because I know we have found them in trees in the rainforest. They certainly would have to be from trees just the way they grow. I will take bet at least some come from the forest, if not all.

Betsy

+More
From: piabinha at yahoo.com (piaba) on 2008.04.28 at 17:01:56(17489)
hi steve,

i haven't seen epiphyllums in the wild, but i can tell
you that related "epiphytical" cacti do grow over
rocks in full sun, and not necessarily in a shady
rainforest.

+More
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2008.04.30 at 01:30:32(17494)
Although I found Dr. Kimnach's address with the help of an individual from this forum and sent him a note I haven't seen a response as yet. But for me the need for an answer is not really needed. I received a response from a personal query to Dr. Croat and his answer nails it for me, "While it is true that Epiphyllum does occur in Tropical dry forest and even drier biomes some species are common in Tropical moist forest, perhaps also in Tropical wet forest."

In the meantime, I've been flooded with mail from quite a few people who frequent other forums who have cautioned me not even to respond to the person who made the claim. Besides considering himself an "expert" in cactii and succulents, he apparently takes joy in trying to cause any possible disturbance on a forum. One response came with a link to a site that discusses cacti where a noted individual who has found 5 plant species unknown to science had been taken to task by this individual just for the apparent fun! I was extremely impressed with the response of the true authority!

So, I've updated my own page on the single Epiphyllum species I have as an adult and will leave it at that. As Julius pointed out, you can't convince someone who still believes the man has never been to the moon or Earth is flat of the truth! Just in case anyone out there grows Epiphyllum species and has more knowledge than do I (most of you) you can find what I've written here:
http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Epiphyllum%20phyllanthus%20subsp.%20phyllanthus%20pc.html

Please let me know if you find anything that is in error! And thanks to all from this forum who wrote privately.

Steve Lucas

+More
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2008.04.30 at 01:31:43(17495)
Thanks for the input!

Steve

+More
From: ecuador10 at comcast.net (Betsy Feuerstein) on 2008.04.30 at 02:17:23(17499)
OK, three lashes with the wet noodle. Message was a personal message to Steve and I goofed........... I am sorry.
Betsy
+More
From: hluther at selby.org (Harry Luther) on 2008.04.30 at 23:53:46(17502)
Dear Steve, Cacti are not my thing but Ive seen plenty of Epiphyllum spp and Rhipsalis spp growing in wet lowland rainforest in Bocas del Toro, Panama, Los Rios , Ecuador and in dry cool cloud forest in El Oro , Ecuador. Yes, some are rainforest epiphytes. HEL

-----Original Message-----

+More
From: hermine at endangeredspecies.com (=?iso-8859-1?Q?hermine=A9?=) on 2008.05.01 at 07:43:58(17508)
>
>i haven't seen epiphyllums in the wild, but i can tell
>you that related "epiphytical" cacti do grow over
>rocks in full sun, and not necessarily in a shady
>rainforest.

Herm has seen filmy ferns growing in full sun in Kauaii HI. IMAGINE MY SHOCK!

hermine

+More
From: piabinha at yahoo.com (piaba) on 2008.05.01 at 16:43:29(17518)
> >i haven't seen epiphyllums in the wild, but i can
> tell
> >you that related "epiphytical" cacti do grow over
+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.