IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[Aroid-l] An off topic question!
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2008.04.27 at 19:30:18(17471)
This is not an aroid question but I am reasonably certain some on this forum will be able to put me in touch with the individual I am seeking.

I do not claim to be an expert in any genera. Aroids are my obvious favorite and as you all know I ask questions all the time in order to make sure the information I post on my site is reasonably accurate according to presently accepted botanical science. I have one page on my site on an Epiphyllum species and have offered what knowledge I am aware of in response to some questions posed on the UBC plant forum. UBC is sponsored by the University of British Colombia Botanical Garden.

There is one individual on that site who keeps insisting Epiphyllum species are not a rain forest plant. Virtually everything I've been able to find and read indicates they are just that and are found from Southern Mexico, all of Central America, and in South America through Venezuela, the Guiana Shield, and all down the western side of the continent through Bolivia as well as in Brazil. I just can't figure out how an epiphytic plant that populates that region of the world could not be a rain forest species!

This individual recently insisted his information comes from botanist Myron Kimnach who is a known expert in cacti and Epiphyllum species are cacti. I would very much like to consult with Mr. Kimnach to make sure my information is accurate. If any of you know how to contact him, please pass along that information. I found some info that he has had some association with the Huntington but do not know if he is a part of their staff. Both Leland and I have been corresponding with Joseph Dougherty who is quite knowledgeable about Epiphyllum species and Joe assures me my information is accurate.

Any assistance would certainly be appreciate. And if you are interested in reading what has been posted on UBC you can find it in this link:

http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/forums/showthread.php?t2331&page=2

You'll find the quotes from a poster who calls himself Cereusly Steve about half way down the page and to the end.

If you would prefer to keep your posts off Aroid l please contact me at Steve at ExoticRainforest.com

Thanks!

Steve Lucas

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.