IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Philodendron Angra dos Reis,
From: "ExoticRainforest" <Steve at exoticrainforest.com> on 2008.08.15 at 01:56:44(18377)
(!FILE)
Some months ago I posted the photo below on Aroid l seeking a possible identification. Two possible names came back but the first, 'Angra dos Reis', could not be located anywhere. The second was a form of Philodendron hederaceum and some of you may recall I had difficulty with that as a possibility.

Here's way: My plant has very long petioles, the cataphylls differ from Philodendron hederaceum, and quite a few other differences could be observed between the actual specimen and the scientific description of Philodendron hederaceum especially the purple brown blotches on the petioles and one vein. The petiole also is ribbed. I've been watching the plant for any new signs that could be tracked to a scientific source working ever since to find the correct ID. Several major differences are now apparent.

Yesterday Leland Miyano hit the jackpot. He told me Philodendron "Angra dos Reis" was simply Philodendron cordatum from Brazil. I looked up Philodendron cordatum on TROPICOS and the photos on that site are as perfect a match to my specimen as they come. A couple of Dr. Croat's field notes closed the deal since they were a description of my specimen.

I've written a page on Philodendron cordatum today but while researching that name on the internet found that many websites were claiming Philodendron cordatum is a synonym for Philodendron scandens oxypetalum. If you read the scientific description, that is not possible, especially since P. scandens oxypetalum is simply Philodendron hederaceum. Lots of things just don't match between these specimens even if you allow for variability.

Here's what I've learned so far and my sincere thanks to Leland for his help!

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Philodendron%20cordatum%20pc.html

Steve Lucas

HTML

+More

From: "Harry Luther" <hluther at selby.org> on 2008.08.16 at 15:27:09(18388)
FYI. The name Philodendron Angra dos Reis seems to have been used by Leopoldo Seidel, brother? of Alvim Seidel, in seed lists friom the late 60s early 70s. It probably documents the locality seed source of this material. I saw these plants in this vicinity in 1996. The material at the Marie Selby Botanical Gardens is from this Seidel seed source that I purchased several years earlier. I believe I brought it to the Gardens in 1975 or 76. It has survived 24*F and the death of the host live oak. HEL

-----Original Message-----
From: aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com [mailto:aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com]On Behalf Of ExoticRainforest

HTML

+More

From: hermine <hermine at endangeredspecies.com> on 2008.08.16 at 19:19:57(18391)
FYI. The namePhilodendron Angra dos Reis seems to have been used by Leopoldo Seidel,brother? of Alvim Seidel, in seed lists friom the late 60s early70s. It probably documents the locality seed source of this material. Isaw these plants in this vicinity in 1996. The material at the MarieSelby Botanical Gardens is from this Seidel seed source that I purchasedseveral years earlier. I believe I brought it to the Gardens in 1975 or76. It has survived 24*F and the death of the host liveoak. HEL

and i have not found alvim seidel to be a reasonable supplier of plantmaterial. however they did include a free scorpion which was as shiny andblack as patent leather, which ran up my arm into my armpit, causing meto dance around my kitchen in a way never seen before or since, and itdropped out and vanished. i was afraid it would lurk and bite one of thedogs.

hermine

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.