IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

RBGM Tropical House 'Virtual Tour'
From: "Jeremy P" <drplantman at gmail.com> on 2008.08.26 at 00:18:12(18418)
Hi Listers,

For those who'd like a glimpse of the Tropical Glasshouse here @ the RBG Melbourne, it featured on the national gardening program Gardening Australia and the video link is here

Unfortunately, you do have to put up with my mug being on there, so don't say I didn't warn you!

Jeremy P

HTML

+More

From: "Christopher Rogers" <crogers at ecoanalysts.com> on 2008.08.26 at 07:08:34(18419)
How yer goin’ Jeremy?

Great video, even with yer mug! You have a great collection.

Happy days,

Christopher

HTML

+More

From: Susan B <honeybunny442 at yahoo.com> on 2008.08.26 at 12:59:28(18420)
Very nice, I really enjoyed that.
Good job, Jeremy!
Susan

HTML

+More

From: brian lee <lbmkjm at yahoo.com> on 2008.08.26 at 14:48:37(18421)
Dear Jeremy,

Aloha and mahalo for the nice video tour. You have a good public presence.

I am amazed that all your plants sre in pots. You did a good job of arranging them so it appears the plants are in beds. You should contact Krohn Conservatory in my wife's hometown of Cincinnati, Ohio. It is a glasshouse...larger than yours, that has done a marvelous job of recreating an artificial tropical setting. They have permanent raised beds, so the trees are large and there are mid and foreground plantings to complement their storyline of tropical diversity in a small space.

I enjoyed the video production as a geological and botanical timeline...I started my collection with cycads and,with Paul Weissich( Director Emeritus of Honolulu Botanical Gardens), I worked on the Prehistoric Glen at Foster Gardens in Honolulu. Nice Ceratozamia...do you have both sexes? I did not see many aroids, except Anthurium and maybe a Zamioculcas? I know space is probably a premium in your glasshouse...but do you have a collection focus or mission?

Thank you again for allowing me a peek at RBG Melbourne's Tropical Glasshouse. I am always curious to see how others grow their plants.

Aloha,

Leland

+More
From: "edleigh" <edleigh7 at optusnet.com.au> on 2008.08.27 at 09:33:30(18427)
Gday Jeremy,

I was interested to see your greenhouse in Melbourne. I seen a few aroids in the background there, you have done really well. I'm a collector in Brisbane and get down there from time to time. Is this open to the public? If not is it possible for me to see it next time I'm down?

What aroids do you have in there?

And again well done!

Regards,

Ed

HTML

+More

From: "Jeremy P" <drplantman at gmail.com> on 2008.09.02 at 04:46:19(18454)
G'day Ed,

This came through after I sent you my off-list reply, so apologies for not answering all your questions!

The Glasshouse is open every day of the year, 10am-4pm (12-4pm on public holidays). If you are planning to visit (and this invite is to everyone on the list!) drop me a line and if I'm free I'll come and meet up with you - it's always great to put faces to names.

Regarding the aroids we have, I have just finished the stocktake (which hadn't been done for a long time and made a Rubics Cube look easy!) so our online census here will give you an accurate list of what we have in there. The one qualifer I will give is that the names are what we have them labeled as, and not all of them are confirmed Id's - that's next on my long list of things to do in there.

Thanks too for the feedback - the video shoot was good fun!

Jeremy

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.