IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

legal plant importation
From: ExoticRainforest <Steve at ExoticRainforest.com> on 2009.02.08 at 04:57:21(19061)
I know a few on this list have goneto South America and brought back specimens, at least rhizomes, stemcuttings, seeds, etc. I don't know if we'll be able to do this anytimesoon but I would like to make plans just in case. It has been yearssince I was fortunate enough to spend time in Central and SouthAmerican rain forests but my knowledge base is now improved enough Icould really learn a great deal more if I were able to get into thefield once again if for no other reason than to take a lot morephotos.

Can those of you who know how to do this legally tell us all how to goabout getting the permits from both the export country as well as theU.S.? Of course I am not talking about collection of any CITESprohibited material.

Thanks!

Steve Lucas

HTML

+More

From: "Daniel Devor" <plantguy at zoominternet.net> on 2009.02.08 at 14:55:31(19062)
Hi Steve,

While I have not been there in person to facilitate the export permits I can say that getting export permits to do things on the up-and-up from Peru took nearly 9 months for the nursery owner at the Peruvian end 2 years ago when I imported from there. It could be that for so-called "scientific" reasons the exports might be easier, but for the person I worked with who routinely exported CITES protected plants (cacti) it was a nightmare getting Amaryllids (not CITES protected) exported into the U.S. Perhaps if you are working with someone at a University in the country of origin they may be able to make it easier. I assume that others that collect in this manner may be able to help you there!!

Getting the import permit at your end will take 10 min to fill out if you take a coffee break half-way through the labor intensive process!!! Go the following site: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_health/permits/index.shtml

Click on "permits" then click on "apply for a PPQ permit" and then fill out PPQ587.

Do not get bogged down in every species from every country you may or may not import. You are applying for a permit to import any legal plant from any country so you do not need to list every plant and every country. By the way, this info came directly from the people at the USDA when I talked to them on the phone so it is accurate. I've been importing from around the world for many years and the only time there have been problems is when the exporter does something incorrectly, which unfortunately does happen on occassion.

Easy as pie at your end so best of luck,

Dan

HTML

+More

From: "Elizabeth Campbell" <desinadora at mail2designer.com> on 2009.02.08 at 21:54:06(19063)
Hi Steve,

I can't speak for the other countries down here, but the first step for being to get live plant material out of Ecuador legally (non-CITES species, of course) is to apply for what is called a "Permiso de Exportar Plantas Vivas" at the Ministry of Agricuture in Quito. The paperwork costs about $5 per plant/sample/batch of seeds, and is valid for about a month. The kicker, though, is that you have to have the plant material with you when you apply, which can make things a touch sticky. After that, you talk to Aduanes at the airport (preferrably a couple of days before you are to fly) and show them all your paperwork - they'll note you down on a list and they won't quibble or detain you when you try to board your flight with the plants (even if you have all your paperwork with you, if you skip this step they'll try and make you miss your flight.)

Entry requirements vary according to your home country. In Canada, you just have to declare that you're bringing in a non-CITES species with paperwork from its country of origin, and if Customs asks you, you have to be able to show the Permiso de Exportar.

For the US, I believe that you need some paperwork from the States in addition to the Permiso - somebody correct me on this if I'm wrong. I've never tried to bring plants into the States, so I'm a touch hazy on this.

For Australia and the UK, no amount of paperwork is going to get your plants in without a (fairly expensive, I hear tell) permission from the government that you secured before you even left for South America.

Beth

HTML

+More

From: ExoticRainforest <Steve at ExoticRainforest.com> on 2009.02.10 at 05:32:22(19069)
Thanks Beth! One of the two placesI'd love to visit most (again) is Ecuador so this helps. The secondwould be French Guiana due to the friendship many of us on this forumhave with Joep Moonen. In that case Joep has already offered to help. Now we just have to wait to see what the "banker" will allow!

Thanks again!

Steve Lucas

HTML

+More

From: ExoticRainforest <Steve at exoticrainforest.com> on 2009.02.10 at 05:35:24(19070)
Thanks a bunch Dan! I'll make anote of the sites you gave so I will be ready months in advance of atrip!

Best wishes!

Steve

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.