IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

A. titanum, organically
From: "Jared R. McKinley" <jaredr.mckinley at gmail.com> on 2009.03.09 at 21:52:17(19177)
I raise spores of specific mycorrhizae, and keep my compost as aerobic and fungal as possible to raise all the native beneficial fungi I can (same with the beneficial bacteria, nematodes, and microarthropods--feeding it lots of fungal foods like kelp, fish emulsion, and keeping it on the woody side). I use the microscope to monitor my compost, and tea inoculants). EM is mostly some interesting facultative anaerobic microbes that are raised on cabbage in Japan. I find their product to be inconsistent (I monitored the product myself through the microscope). It is an ok food even if the microbes are dormant or dead. If you have not already done so, a good starting place is here: http://www.soilfoodweb.com/ Elaine Ingham teaches VERY interesting courses on making good quality compost and compost tea. I don't agree with EVERYTHING she says. But I agree with her more than anyone else out there. Her background is in microbiology and she works directly with a very diverse group of people (everyone from agriculture outfits, to nurseries, to compost companies, landscapers, home gardeners, botanical gardens, etc.). The books available on their website are great.

jared

HTML

+More

From: brian lee <lbmkjm at yahoo.com> on 2009.03.12 at 17:30:26(19190)
Dear Jared,

Aloha.

Thank you for the link. It will take some time for me to digest all of that, but new knowledge is a good thing. Please keep us informed on your successes and failures with these techniques.

Aloha,

Leland

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.