IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

our dear friend Julius Boos
From: ExoticRainforest <Steve at exoticrainforest.com> on 2009.06.27 at 12:33:34(19460)
One of the most valued contributorsto the International Aroid Society and Aroid l is a brother to all of,my dear friend Julius Boos. With Julius' permission I wanted to letall of you know about his medical condition.

Julius was diagnosed earlier this week with Pancreatic cancer. Thatform of cancer is extremely difficult to treat and/or cure and Juliushas made it clear to several of us that his personal prognosis is notgreat. Julius is a remarkable man and is one of the most brilliantpeople in the aroid community. He has authored many papers on aroidsas well as other scientific papers on insects and other animals. Julius is also a co-author of scientific papers introducing new aroidspecies to science and there are more in the publishing process rightnow. He has personally guided me almost from the very beginning when Ielected to try to create a website on aroids and tropical plant specieswith good scientific information written in a way any one canunderstand. Julius has proofed and made positive updates on my effortsmany, many times. Over the years we've traded thousands of email andquite a few phone calls. I have no idea how many times I've quoted himbut his name pops up on my site more than anyone else other than Dr.Croat. In 2006 he helped to track down a plant that was on theinternet called the Rare Thailand Parrot Flower than almost everyonethought was a hoax. That page on Impatiens psittacina is thesingle most often visited page on my website with as many as 1000individual visitors in a single day on some days. If you were to do aGoogle search his name will pop up on many, many pages.

He has asked that his email not be flooded with tons of mail since heis currently having a great deal of problems with his older system andat this time sees no reason to replace it. Brief notes would beappreciated but attachments can cause unnecessary problems. Ipersonally have great faith in prayer so many of my personal friendshave added Julius to their list of people they ask God to take careof. I'd like to see as many of us as possible do the same but even ifyou aren't terribly religious please do remember "Ju-Bo". If you wereto go back through all the Aroid l postings (and you can back to 1996here: http://www.hort.net/lists/aroid-l/ I would doubt anyone hasgiven more great advice to aroids than Julius.

Julius has told me on the phone he is perfectly at peace with hismedical condition and is feeling well. There are more tests that mustbe done but please do think about him.

Julius, please remember that thousands of us love you dearly, just likea brother! I know of several Aroid l members other than myself thatliterally consider you to be my brother. I only wish I had made yourfriendship many, many years earlier. And for those of you that havenever met Julius this is just one more great reason to attend the IASAroid Show and Sale in September. Julius like always, Julius plans tobe there and so should you.

Steve Lucas

HTML

+More

From: brian lee <lbmkjm at yahoo.com> on 2009.06.28 at 20:44:20(19469)
Dear Fellow Aroiders,

Aloha.

Julius Boos is a dear friend of mine that I hope will beat all the odds against him. On rare occasions, one mets and befriends a spirit complementary to oneself. Julius is one of my kindred brothers and his friendship runs deep and true. Most of you out there in virtual world will know Julius for his interest in aroids and edible Araceae. He has so much more depth to his knowledge that I have been so fortunate to experience. He is one of those old souls that have been around forever and will live on forever in the lives of those he has touched. My life is so much richer having known Julius and it is my honor to call him a dear friend. If I had the power to grant such wishes of restored health and happiness, I would use it for my kindred brother, Julius.

All my love and aloha("in the presence of the breath of life"),

Leland Miyano

HTML

+More

From: a san juan <kalim1998 at yahoo.com> on 2009.07.01 at 19:01:02(19475)
Julius is a fellow Meconostigma (and leafcuter ant) enthusiast. But more than that, he exemplifies the best ideals of what it means to be a researcher. He is inquisitive, has a monstrous appetite for gathering and analyzing information, and his love and fascination for his research subjects shows through in everything he does.

What more can be said? Get well, dude. We have plenty more exploring to do! :-)

airlan san juan

HTML

+More

From: Brian Williams <pugturd at windstream.net> on 2009.07.02 at 13:04:06(19477)
I thought I would share a bit about Julius that I know. When I first
started collecting I was fairly young considering and I was also already
a fanatic aroid collector. I was extremely hungry for knowledge. This
was at a time when I could not tell a Philodendron from an Anthurium and
I was also willing to take any Syngonium cutting anyone would share. I
am sure many can relate to this very young stage of aroid collecting.
I have a great interest for aquatic aroids and after reading a small
post by Julius on an obscure message board he suddenly was on my hit
list. This usually meant a lot of questions in radon emails and god
forbid if I was able to get his phone number. Julius was particularly
kind to my enthusiasm and encouraged me unlike anyone else. He sent me
free seeds of Urospatha and a few other rare aquatic plants. Needless
to say these were the first seeds I ever started myself though with
Julius's instructions they were up and growing like weeds and are still
growing for me to this day. I continued to trade emails with Julius and
he had helped many times after this with odd questions and great humor.
It was a pleasure to finally meet him in person at my first aroid show.
He was with out a doubt nothing like what I had expected to see. I have
somewhat of a good imagination and after a few conversations on the
phone I had thought he would look similar to the 7up guy from the
commercials. I had him figured him as a large dark Jamaican type with
dreadlocks LOL. Never did I know he would look like an South American
Santa Claus. He stood very tall and had a very kind look to his face
small glasses and a beard his personality could barely contain him. I
introduced myself and he instantly started to introduce me to everyone
he knew. I could tell right away everyone knew Julius and everyone loved
Julius. I personally met the glue that held so many collectors together.
His stories of collected captivated me like nothing else, this man was
on fire for aroids and he was right at home at the aroid show. I doubt
he knows he made such and impression on me. I believe at the time I was
16 years old I distinctly remember him shake my hand and their was
something in his hand. He whispered in my ear, this is a very very rare
aroid CHuber don't let anyone know. Grow it out!
Things like this makes Julius a legend in the hearts of aroiders. The
sense of excitement the lust for knowledge and the ability captivate and
awe. I have shadowed Julius at every aroid show sense and consider him a
great and wonderful friend. Hearing this information puts a burden on my
heart. I hope and pray good new is around the corner. Just knowing
Julius is a blessing and I felt compelled to share my experience of
Julius with the group.

Julius I hope you get well soon I hope and pray for the best. God bless.

+More
From: <ju-bo at msn.com> on 2009.07.04 at 13:34:20(19482)
Thanks, Brian, for your VERY kind words, they brought MANY emotions to the surface!
Yes, it was great meeting you back then, and thank goodness I never lost my passion for Aroids (plus a few other fields of research!)
I am feeling pretty good this AM after my first batch of chemo. last Thursday, so I send my best wishes and thanks to all my friends ''out there'', I hope to see some of you in Miami come next Sept. IAS show.

Love to ALL,

Julius

> Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 09:04:06 -0400
> From: pugturd@windstream.net

HTML

+More

From: STARSELL at aol.com on 2009.07.06 at 03:37:03(19486)
Dear Julius,

I am so happy you feel better after your chemo.

You will get better and better and see everyone in Miami!

I hope to meet you there.

best regards,

Alison

HTML

+More

From: Brian Williams <pugturd at windstream.net> on 2009.07.11 at 15:59:26(19497)
Julius it is great news to hear you are doing so well. I felt compelled
to write about how much you have effected my collecting and enthusiasm
for this plant group over the years. It will be great to see you at the
show and everyone else. Take care.
+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.