IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Help for A. harleyi
From: <snalice at suddenlink.net> on 2010.01.15 at 00:15:19(20474)
Hello all,

Is there someone who can clue me in as to how to save my almost-dead Anthurium harleyi? The photos show at what point my plant is. I don't want to lose this plant. I cut off all leaves about a month ago and put it into a plastic bag (no dirt, just air and humidity). The leaves were green but shriveld. Either I'm impatient or it's not showing any remorse at dying. I am thinking about planting it into a pot and putting the pot into a plastic bag but I'm not sure of a medium. Is there a 'best' hospital medium in a pot, inside a ziploc for A. harleyi? It's such a tough plant and it took a long, long time to get to this point. I suppose it will take a long long time to come back if it has that much life left. Still, any help would be appreciated! This plant dwindled due to dry weather as opposed to wet weather.

The plant root base is still green and firm. The roots that are left are also firm. To me, it has the appearance of being capable of growth but it's just not putting out anything new. I have to get it into a constant environment and that's what I need to know about. Any ideas please.

Thank you!

Susan Cox

HTML

+More

From: "Marcus Nadruz" <mnadruz at jbrj.gov.br> on 2010.01.18 at 09:26:13(20488)
Hi Susan,

You're putting too much water? This species occur in dry here in Brazil, with much sunshine, surviving on little water. I hope I have helped.

Marcus

HTML

+More

From: <snalice at suddenlink.net> on 2010.01.20 at 01:52:05(20497)

Hello Marcus,

Yes, this does help! Leland in Hawaii mentioned that there can long dry spells in Brazil, but that there are many climates and I don't know in which climate harleyi lives.

'You're putting too much water?'

Actually, no. It was not watered often enough for an extended period of time, however, it is now putting up two leaf shoots while in the baggie. There is no water or damp medium in the baggie. I have started dunking the root ball, putting it back inside the bag and leaving it open to dry again. So the bag is simply creating a more constant temp. around the roots. There is very little dirt within the root ball. The roots are getting soaked then dry out before any more dunking.

Can this plant sit and wait for rains for 'long' periods of time? How long? Are there times when it is dry for so long that it will loose it's leaves and wait? It almost seems like is it in a 'just sitting' stage. The roots didn't dry out nor did they rot. They are in great shape. Another question. Does A. harleyi need humidity for the leaves in spite of little water for the roots? I don't have any trouble growing this plant, but it went through such a dry spell that it's leaves began to shrivel.

Thank you Marcus,

Susan

HTML

+More

From: "Marcus Nadruz" <mnadruz at jbrj.gov.br> on 2010.01.25 at 10:43:07(20513)
Hi Susan,

Sorry the delay in responding.
This species grows in arid areas of high temperatures, with
long time without rain (sometimes more than two months), but
it does not lose their leaves, is not seasonal. It would be
the type of fertilizer you are using? or temperature where
it is growing?

Marcus

+More
From: <snalice at suddenlink.net> on 2010.01.26 at 22:19:45(20515)
Hello Marcus,

Thank you again for responding Marcus.

I dunk them in water with some fish emulsion mixed in every once in awhile,
leaves and all, but not very often. They don't appear to need much
fertilizer. I need to say that my A. harleyi went through many months
without much water. It was neglected it for periods so long that the leaves
finally shriveled. It's no wonder that it is still alive, considering it's
native conditions. It loves it inside the house as long as it is dunked
once in awhile. I have wood heat so it gets some pretty high temperatures,
which it didn't seem to mind. It didn't even seem to mind being neglected
for long periods, but this was too long a period.

Marcus, in it's native habitat, even though there can be long periods of
drought, is there any humidity in the air at all?
I do wonder if A. harleyi will produce seed all by itself? Is it
apomictic/asexual?

+More
From: "Marcus Nadruz" <mnadruz at jbrj.gov.br> on 2010.01.28 at 16:31:51(20520)
Hi Susan,

The humidity in the localities of occurrence varies from 40 to 90%, depending on the season. For fruit production, unfortunately the species needs a pollinator, flies or bees.

Marcus

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.