IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Help for A. harleyi
From: <snalice at suddenlink.net> on 2010.01.20 at 01:52:05(20497)

Hello Marcus,

Yes, this does help! Leland in Hawaii mentioned that there can long dry spells in Brazil, but that there are many climates and I don't know in which climate harleyi lives.

'You're putting too much water?'

Actually, no. It was not watered often enough for an extended period of time, however, it is now putting up two leaf shoots while in the baggie. There is no water or damp medium in the baggie. I have started dunking the root ball, putting it back inside the bag and leaving it open to dry again. So the bag is simply creating a more constant temp. around the roots. There is very little dirt within the root ball. The roots are getting soaked then dry out before any more dunking.

Can this plant sit and wait for rains for 'long' periods of time? How long? Are there times when it is dry for so long that it will loose it's leaves and wait? It almost seems like is it in a 'just sitting' stage. The roots didn't dry out nor did they rot. They are in great shape. Another question. Does A. harleyi need humidity for the leaves in spite of little water for the roots? I don't have any trouble growing this plant, but it went through such a dry spell that it's leaves began to shrivel.

Thank you Marcus,

Susan

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.